1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP freezes 5-30 minutes after startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BenWasTaken, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BenWasTaken

BenWasTaken Thread Starter

Well I just currently installed Windows XP on a 2.4 pentium processor.. i installed my linksys wireless n adapter and was browsing around.. the computer eventually slowed down and had 100% cpu resources being used.. then eventually froze. so i thought it might be that i didn't install the driver for my graphics card which is a 9600 radeon.. so i installed the drivers for it and thought it would fix.. nope. still freezing. at the same time my keyboard will stop working so i unplug and plug it back in a couple times and itll work again.. same thing with the wireless adapter.. it'll like turn off then i have to replug it in a few times and itll work again.. i thought it might be the power supply or something but i know the power supply is nearly brand new.

in short, i have 3 simultaneous problems'
    -keyboard working on and off
    -wireless adapter working on and off
    -cpu freezing 5-30 minutes after bootup

im stuck here and any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

[edit] just tried to change out the keyboard with another one to see if maybe it was the keyboard. but as i suspected it's definitely not the keyboard.. hmmm

2. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

No bsod or anything? Go to control panel, Administrative Tools, event viewer and look for errors in application and system around the time this happens.
    You can also get Memtest86+ and check your memory and speedfan to check your temps to make sure they are ok.

3. BenWasTaken

thanks for the reply michael.. i don't get any bsod and I looked in the event viewer and all there was, was the error "crt invalid display type", which is from my nvidia radeon graphics card.. but I looked into the error and on their site they said it doesn't cause any performance problems.. so i dunno..

my comp hasn't been freezing anymore since i've posted, so it's hard to say if it's cured.

I changed out my power supply to see if that could have possible been the cause for the keyboard and wireless adapter but to no avail, it didn't do much. I did figure out, however, that if I press the keyboard input into the cpu firmly and hold it there the keyboard will work.. it took me a couple tries to get it to stick so I don't have to hold it in there but it's really sensitive. if i move the computer case just a litte it seems like the male and female piece disconnect and i have to firmly attach them again. i'm assuming it's the same problem with the wireless adapter... for some reason it seems that the male pieces for input have to be pressed extremely firm into the female piece in order for it to work.. just snapping it will basically be hit or miss.. so is there anything i can do to maybe tighten up the female piece.. lol this sounds like one big metaphor but i'm so serious

thanks for the help

4. heeh2

heeh2

yea erm......*cough*......

id like some help tightening my female...err....monitor also.......

computers usually turn off when an internal device disconnects....

tell your computer abstonance > withdrawl

5. BenWasTaken

ok so right after i made this last post, the computer started locking up haha pretty ironic..

but it seems to me that the computer doesn't start to lock up until i start browsing the internet.. like when it has to load a bunch of pictures and stuff... because it works fine coming to tech guy, but if i try to visit any other "high bandwidth" sites it just seems to lock up.. i'm stumped on this one.. maybe installing the wireless adapters drivers before i installed any of the other ones was a bad idea. who knows? should i just reinstall windows and start all over?

so in short,

-i have really loose hardware female parts
    - comp starts to lock up after browsing high bandwidth websites

thanks

6. heeh2

heeh2

if it doesnt lock up without using the internet....what browsing program do you use....

also, i dont have much experience with wireless equipment but three signals could be the problem (especially if its an off brand/combo pack wireless setup youv got) in combo with xp

7. BenWasTaken

yea I can seriously browse around my local drive all day and it won't lock up or anything. but as soon as i get online with firefox OR internet explorer the comp starts to go really slow. it never locks up completely, but it slows down so much that it might as well be locked up...

i'm not sure what you mean by three signals being the problem.. could you explain a little more? I think I may try to reinstall the wireless adapter driver to see if that could be the problem.

Any other suggestions would be MORE then appreciated..

thanks

8. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Do you have a phishing filter or something enabled?
    Is it ie7?

9. BenWasTaken

Nah I don't have a phishing filter...

So I was messing around and realized that when my network adapter is plugged in, that's when my cpu usage sky rockets to 100% and my computer eventually locks up.. but when I unplug it, it goes back down to normal.. so now I definitely know that it has something to do with my adapter and/or my usb ports.. the only only thing that uses usb is my mouse and it's on a different hub... my network adapter is the linksys wireless n adapter and it says it's compatible with usb 1.1 and 2.0 so i'm not sure why it's doing this..

if anyone has any thoughts, i'd really appreciate it.

also, i've used the adapter on another computer and it worked fine..

10. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Some usb devices don't like going thru a hub. You could try running the modem straight thru an ethernet port or straight into a usb port on the pc, not a hub.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice