1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Freezes at Welcome/Login Screen: Only Boots in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by barabaskid, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barabaskid

barabaskid Thread Starter

Hello All,

As of this morning my PC (running XP Pro SP3) hangs at the Welcome screen. I am able to type in my password (and hear the log on sound) but the welcome screen stays and the OS never loads. It loaded once (on about the tenth attempt) but I believe "explorer.exe" did not; I had blue screen on my start bar, quick launches and system tray, could not use CTRL+ALT+DEL or SUPER+R to run a command, and could not load any shortcuts from my desktop.

I am able to boot into Safe Mode (standard, with Networking and with Command Prompt) without a problem. I have attempted reinstalling my Chipset and VGA drivers to no avail. I have also run Malware and Spyware Doctor scans and show no issues.

My login screen is customized from Tune Up Utilities 2012; however I cannot uninstall the program from safe mode. Additionally, though my boot and welcome screen are custom, they both run when I boot into safe mode, which, as mentioned, I can do without incident.

Here is my hardware profile from Everest:

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
    Date 2011-11-08
    Time 11:26

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2300 MHz
    Motherboard Name Acer Aspire 5734Z
    Motherboard Chipset Unknown
    System Memory 3001 MB
    BIOS Type Insyde (04/16/10)

Storage:
    IDE Controller Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller MagicISO SCSI Host Controller
    Disk Drive WDC WD1200BEVS-75RST0 (111 GB, IDE)
    Optical Drive MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
    Optical Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 114463 MB (39350 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
    Network Adapter Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
    Network Adapter Realtek RTL8188CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter (192.168.0.104)

Peripherals:
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939 [NoDB]
    USB2 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A [NoDB]
    USB2 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C [NoDB]
    USB Device Realtek RTL8188CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    USB Device USB Composite Device
    USB Device USB Video Device
    Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
    Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

I'm showing no errors anywhere, have run disk defrags, registry cleans and everything else I can think of, all to no avail. I did back up all my data, but don't want to go through an entire fresh install (as I have some 80 odd programs I'd need to dig out the CD Keys for).

I have attempted an msconfig "clean" boot (only MS services) and chkdsk - all to no avail.

If anyone has any suggestions, or require further information to diagnose the problem, I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Barabaskid

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

This just happened dismorning? Run a system restore prior to this problem in safe mode :)

3. barabaskid

Sadly, I shut off system restore points as they bog down too much memory.

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Ah..ok..You said you ran a repair? command: chkdsk /r in recovery console?

5. barabaskid

I did indeed - no problems detected. I also download the Seagate DOS Boot tools and ran the short and long tests; likewise, no problems reported.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice