1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP freezes/Hangs aftera couple of hours

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tech-Jinx :(, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tech-Jinx :(

Tech-Jinx :( Thread Starter

I have a brand new custom built XP MCE machine that has begun freezing after being left on for several hours. I'm not sure the exact time as this usually happens overnight.

When I first got the machine it crashed often, especially during graphics intensive games, (ie F.E.A.R), usually accompanied/preceded by a stage rhythmic white noise sound from the speakers.

I changed the graphics card, (a PCI-E Geforce 6600 512mb), as the company supplying the system said it should be either memory or graphics card - and an overnight run through of memtest showed 0 errors in the memory.

Now the system is much more stable - but does very occasionally crash during intensive operations - again with the strange, rhythmic white noise coming from the speakers and as mentioned above will hang if left on for a number of hours.

Does anybody have a clue about this it's very annoying as being an MCE machine I want it to stream/record TV/Video but it can't record if it's freezing all the time. I'd rather solve the problem myself as it's so intermittent & hard to predict I'm not sure how they'd fix it if I send the thing back!

System Details:
    AMD® ATHLON® 64BIT X2 4400 1MB L2 Cache
    1024 MB DDR400 PC3200
    ATI CHIPSET RS482-M: DUAL DDR, SATA, x16 slot
    SATA 250 GB HARD DISK @ 7200rpm 8mb cache
    4x +R DUAL LYR DVD WRITER (16x +/-R) (& RW) + 40x CD-RW (£25)
    512MB GEFORCE 6600 PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
    HIGH END ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL SOUND
    ONBOARD LAN & WIRELESS 802.11G NETWORK CARD (£12)
    INTERNAL 7 IN 1 CARD READER WITH 1.44MB FLOPPY DISK DRIVE
    Silent 400W PSU + 120mm internal
    DIGITAL TV CARD

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice