1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP freezing up and computer shutting off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by geolime, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geolime

geolime Thread Starter

My computer has been freezing up and the computer will shut off, where the front system light will flash on and off every few seconds. That is the computer will freeze up or it will do the shut off thing. And in order to return the computer on when it shuts off, I have to manually flip the PSU power switch for like 5 seconds and then flip it back and then I can turn the computer on (which I'm guessing is just a simple safety feature.) And when it does freeze up without shutting off, I have to hit the reset button because its a permanent freeze up on XP.

I noticed that freeze-ups typically happen mostly only whenever I try to view flash videos and sometimes if I have MSN messenger and Steam both loaded up as well as the freezeups will occur every so often when I am just browsing (possibly the ads on sites?). The freeze-ups will also occur when I plug in an external hard drive and usually either when its booting the hard drive or after a about less than 10 seconds of browsing the external hard drive it will freeze.

The random shut offs are typically more random, they will happen sometimes when the computer is booting up and sometimes just happen out of nowhere.

One thing to note, whenever I just play Steam games, such as Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead 2, i almost never have freezeups or the shut downs. And this is after hours of playing, usually nothing. Though it sometimes might freeze up if say I'm playing TF2 and then I'm also chatting with someone on MSN. I play my games in windowed mode all the time, so sometimes I might browse or chat, but that has been hindered do to this freezing problem.

I've looked at my comp temps and everything looks relatively normal and cool as always.

To remedy these problems, I have tried several things.
    First, I uninstalled adobe flash and shockwave, still same problems.
    Second, I completely dusted out my computer.
    Third, I thought it might be a PSU problem, so I took out my old PSU and replaced it with a an old one I had that was new, because I had never used it, still the same problems. I rereplaced the new one with my old one again.
    Fourth, I thought the main HDD that I run XP on might be dying, so I tried plugging in an external, so that I could transfer data from one of my other internal HDD's to the external so that I could reformat that, but as I mentioned above, having the external in would freeze the computer up. (I did try this for both the older and new PSU's) Also if I kept the external plugged in when the computer was booting up, it would freeze it when it was at the Windows bar loading screen.

That's what I have done so far, I'm really at a loss for what could possibly be wrong right now. As you can see, I've tried what I thought I could at the moment, and posting on a forum for help is one of my last resorts when I really just don't know what could be wrong. I do have a few other thoughts as to possibilities, seeing as how with a computer it could be multiple things wrong. This problem started about a week or more ago, so It's relatively recent and I'm not sure what I did for this problem to have occured.

Help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT:
    Software: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    Hardware: 3.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Radeon X1950xt 256mb
    Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Realtek High Definition Audio (motherboard audio)

EDIT:
    Note: I am posting this in safe mode and for the last hour or so I noticed that I haven't gotten any freezes when browsing and I tried viewing a few youtube videos with no freezing problems!, with no sound though since I guess safe mode doesn't allow the sound and video drivers to run, except for the onboard motherboard video driver?

EDIT:
    Note to add, I just plugged in my external while in safe mode as well and it does work without freezing the computer up and I can transfer files to it as well.

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

soon as you boot the system open windows task manager click on performance tab to check memory and cpu usage with out running any program files if cpu percentage is high then you have to find the offending program draining system resources.
    so in safe mode all is fine as system resources are running at a minimum just to run the os.

3. geolime

geolime Thread Starter

I have checked that, there are no processes that are eating up that much RAM.

Update: I was able to format and install Vista on another internal HDD, but after the disk installed the main files for a reboot and went to the Vista spash screen/loading bar (before the blu-ish green log in screen) it would freeze or turn off the computer like it had been. And I tried several attempts to try and get into Vista but it would never work, it always would crash or shut off after so many loading bars had passed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!