1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP - Frequent Blue Screens/lock ups

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Twisting Shadow, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Twisting Shadow

Twisting Shadow Thread Starter

I've been battling with XP for a couple weeks now, and I've decided to ask for 3rd party help. Here's the problem:

Symptoms: When running anything other than IE or MS Office programs, XP Blue screens after 10-15 minutes; when installing programs (especially games) XP lags, locks up, and eventually blue screens; when left running (especially if Bittorrent is running) XP Blue screens; when running Itunes (especially if my Ipod is connected) I get lag, then blue screens.

My System:
    Dell Dimension 4600 (3-4 years old) with XP home edition
    80 GB hard drive
    Pentium 4 (2.6 GHz)
    1.5 GB of RAM (512MB standard, I've just added 1 GB)
    Nvidia GeForce 5200 Video Card
    Soundblaster audio card (I don't know the model off the top of my head)
    Logitech Wireless Desktop (mouse and keyboard)
    Linksys Wireless LAN (WRT54G router, matching network cards)
    Shaw Highspeed internet, Shaw Secure Extended as my firewall/antivirus (up to date definitions)
    ---Network - 2 PCs wireless, 1 PC wired (all running XP, my PC is one of the wireless ones)
    ---All Drivers up to date

What I've done: I run RegistryFix, and it helps only minimally. I've formatted twice so far, and on the second format I partitioned my system into two drives, C (windows and Drivers, 7 GB) and D (everything else, 70 GB). I've defragged C drive, and my PC Bluescreens when I defrag D drive. The blue screen states I've run out of physical memory, so I bough more RAM (the 1 GB stick) but that didn't help. It also suggested turning off "BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing" but I can't figure out how to do that from my BIOS screen (Version "A07", whatever that means.)

I'd be incredibly happy if I could install Diablo 2, but my goal is to get my PC working to the point where I can put Steinberg Cubase 3 back on and return to composing music. Cubase used to cause blue screens, as it's memory intensive, but I'm not even going to bother with it, due to my current situation (it probably won't even load, anyway).

Thanks in advance for ANY and ALL help!

2. basikstuff

basikstuff

sounds like a hardware problem. could be software but i doubt it because you reformatted twice.

could be the CPU overheating. check your fans.
    power supply could be going out as well.

3. Twisting Shadow

Twisting Shadow Thread Starter

I'm guessing hardware problem too; but I don't know how/what to troubleshoot.

I'm pretty sure it's not the power supply, that died about 8 months ago, and I replaced it with a brand new one. Furthermore, my computer was basically dormant for the last 4 months, as I was out of town, and virtually noone used it.

It could very well be overheating, but I don't know how to check that (and how to fix it if that turns out to be the problem).

Anyway, my computer was miraculously working for about an hour, an I managed to install my afore mentioned game (diablo 2), but before I could patch (then play) the game, I got the blue screen again. This time, however, I managed to copy down the error message; it read as follows:

*** STOP: 0x00000077 (0xc0000185, 0xc0000185, 0x00000000, 0x0233d000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

and yes, 0xc0000185 was listed twice. I noticed that that only had 9 digits, including the 0x; whislt the others all had 10 digits; is that normal?

EDIT:
    I was checking out the Event Viewer (I just discovered it's existance), and here's how it showed the error:
    Error code 00000077, parameter1 c0000185, parameter2 c0000185, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 0233d000.

Also, there was another error report that stated this:
    The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

That was preceded by a TON of reports with yield symbols (sorry for lack of technical jargon); all occuring within a 20 minute period, up 1-4 times per second (every second). They stated:
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

In hindsight, I remember a yield symbol appearing in my System Tray (that's the box next to the clock, right?) VERY frequently, and when I clicked on it, it just dissapeared (regardless of right or left clicking)

Might this be related? (I would assume so, but I don't know how)

4. basikstuff

basikstuff

the first part of the stop code can provide alot of info.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315266
    this is what microsoft says about your stop code.

basically, run diagonostics on your hard drive and make sure all cables and jumpers are set correctly. also try reseating your ram, and if you can, swap out to check whether they are bad or not.

5. kerpau

kerpau

I've run across this error twice now. A lot of posts and articles point you toward hardware errors. But in my case, one was caused by outdated disk controller firmware and the other was caused by an old disk controller driver. In both cases the driver/firmware update and a chkdsk c: /f /r remedied the situation. I got a few gray hairs out of each incident. Perhaps this will save another Windows user from the same. :p A rebuild of the paging file may also help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!