1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Hanging on Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by agentads, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agentads

agentads Thread Starter

I've had this computer working for quite a while, at least a year, and I reinstalled XP a few days ago to rid the computer of spyware, etc. It installed with no errors, and worked fine for a few days after the reinstall. Last night I shut it down, started it back up this morning and it hangs on the Windows XP loading screen, the green bar keeps going through but it never boots. The same thing happens when I boot with the last good configuration that worked. When I boot in safe mode it hangs while it loads the safe mode files, the last one is Mup.exe, Mup.dll, or something that starts with Mup. MemTest86 shows no errors, so I guess its not the memory, and I don't know why anything would just stop working. I didn't install any new hardware, software, or drivers right before I shutdown last night. Here are my computer specs:

Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard
    Athlon 64 3200+ CPU
    1GB (2 x 512MB) PC3200 Kingston Value RAM (Non-ECC)
    250GB SATA Hard Drive (It's either Maxtor or Seagate, if you really need to know which I can check)
    ATI X800XT Video Card
    Windows XP with the SP1 CD, but I downloaded and installed SP2 and it was running fine with SP2 for a few days.
    If there is anything else you need to know about my computer I would be glad to help you help me :).

I would very much like to avoid reinstalling again, but if that's the only way I could fix it, it's alright.

Thanks in advance.

2. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

check your boot.ini

go to start click on run, then type in msconfig

press enter then after that, tell us what is in the system.ini

some of the files in the system.ini load at that boot screen.

there should be only about 4-5 items in there, if theres more, tell us every item in there.

also, do a disk defrag
    (open your "my computer" and right click on your drive c and then click on properties then click on tools )

also if you want to make your bootup 2-3 seconds faster, you can do this

go to start, click on run and type in msconfig

after that, clickon the tab that says boot.ini and then after that, click on the box that says NOGUIBOOT

doing that will disable that windows xp logo with the scrolling bar under it that appears at your bootup

disabling it can make windows xp load a few seconds faster

3. agentads

agentads Thread Starter

It hangs at the Windows XP loading screen like I said in my original post, I can't get into windows at all.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

5. agentads

agentads Thread Starter

Setup freezes on the "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows..." page. I've tried twice, and both times is freezes there.

6. blues_harp28

Hi..boot from xp cd..when prompted press [R]
    Choose your windows installation typically by pressing [1]
    Press Return...when prompted for a password..
    Type..chkdsk /r
    and press return..
    Windows should repair any errors..
    Type Exit..and Press Return..

7. agentads

agentads Thread Starter

It freezes after I choose my windows installation by pressing 1 and then enter :-/.

8. agentads

agentads Thread Starter

I'm just gonna do a full reinstall.

9. blues_harp28

Ok..let us know if that solve the problem..;)

10. agentads

agentads Thread Starter

I sure hope it does, I have no idea why it happened in the first place...totally new windows install...fairly new hardware...no spyware or viruses...jeeeeeeeeez.

11. agentads

agentads Thread Starter

It seems to be working fine...as expected, thanks for trying to help guys, I guess something was really messed up.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice