1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Hangs after 3-5 minutes!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gustavd, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gustavd

gustavd Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

I rebuilt my computer about a half a year ago, I moved my old mainboard (Matsonic 8083E) to a new box, exchanged the power fan, got a new harddrive, formatted everything and reinstalled XP.

The problem I have been having is that my system freezes after about 3-5 minutes, then it goes through a period of about 5 minutes where it freezes all the time when I reboot. But if I keep the power plugged in it snaps out of it after 5 minutes!! Then the computer runs for hours problem free!!!!
    I've scanned with AdAware, Spybot, CWS shredder, Bazooka and Norton. No problems found, just DSO exploit that won't go away..

Would very much appreciate your help!!

Thanks! :)

2. physician

physician

welcome to the forums

That DSO exploit is just bug that spybot fixed on the most recent update. You should not be seeing that if you have the latest update. Have you kept your spyware up to date? Adaware SE is up to version 1.05 I believe. Could you have a heat problem? Have you checked your hardware profile for any driver conflicts? Do you have SP2?

doc

3. gustavd

gustavd Thread Starter

I'm downloading the SP II right now and I've updated and checked with SB and AdAware, no luck. I'm thinking it might be a temperature issue, but that would mean the components are to cold??!? I've checked the HDD temps and they're @ around 40-45 degrees C. I have a pretty big Arctic cooling fan on the processor, do you think that it could be to cold?
    I will install the service pack this afternoon and see how it works.,

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does ctrl-alt-del work to bring up the task manager when it freezes? (check for processor usage if it does)

And does the freeze occur if you start in Safe Mode?

5. physician

physician

no it would not be too cold - heat is bad for the cpu's. go with rollin rog's suggestions - he is the man. when i have a problem, i listen to him...doc

6. gustavd

gustavd Thread Starter

I ran the computer in Safe mode and still the same problem!!! Does that means it must be hardware problems? I've checked that everything is fastened and secured., Could it be electrical? Or how can I diagnose it?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes, I would say almost certainly. I'll move this to the hardware forum.
    My inexpert guess at this would be that there is a problem either with the motherboard or the power supply.

If you can access the BIOS early on you might be able to see some low voltages. Or get some suggestions for voltage monitoring software.

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

The last time I saw a similar problem, the owner had moved equipment to another board and his graphics card was the wrong voltage. Fortunately, it didn't cause permanent damage (although I don't know how) and a replacement graphics card that suited the m/board sorted him out.

9. gustavd

gustavd Thread Starter

I tried removing the graphics card, and using the mainboards card but there's still the same problem., hmm., maybe the mainboard and the power supply is defective.,

10. travellingon

travellingon

This problem could very easily simply be a poor internet connection or slow phone lines or possibly but not probably modem problems. More likely, though, it's an internet connection because it's 'timing out' and that's what internet connections do when they aren't very good. I'd try just closing the internet connection then reopening it assuming you're using dial up.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice