XP hangs at startup - PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Castle_Rock

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, but im in serious trouble- My XP PRO computer has been working fine since yesterday afternoon, I booted up and when the XP boot screen with the Blue bar moving across came up, it did nothing else, I tried reinstalling XP, but that did not solve the problem neither, When my computer first booted up , i pressed F2 to get into the Setup, or Bios, and changed a few things but it did not help neither,i then restored the original settings PLEASE HELP ASAP!

Have you tried reloading the setup defaults, redetecting the drives, or resetting the configuration data (ESCD in the PCI section) in the BIOS.

How about replacing the CMOS battery (you can also reset the CMOS by leaving the battery out for a few minutes or by using the jumpers located near it, if you can find them)

Reseat all cards and cables while you are there.

The CMOS battery is a quarter sized silver battery on the motherboard. They typically have a life of about 3-5 yrs. I've seen a couple of similar startup problems resolved by replacing it. It is held down by clips, exercise some care in removing it, some of them can be a bit difficult.

"Reload setup defaults" is usually an option on the first page of the BIOS/CMOS setup program. However some proprietary configurations (Dell's for instance) do not include this "user" interface. Instead there is a special combination of keys that must be pressed. If this is the case you may need to contact their Tech Support, or do some "googling" on the model. This would also be true for the ESCD option.

Castle_Rock

I removed the battery that you mentioned, and it still didn't fix the problem, Do you think I may not be able to get this problem fixed?

I contacted Microsoft But didn't get much support fo the tech person. I'm feeling like throwing my computer out the window! i can't figure out whats wrong as its been working exclellent before.

PS, A little feedback about my computer: It WAS originally a Windows 98 SE, i upgraded to XP pro by using the installiation disk. I do not have a bootdisk nor any other disk to start my computer up except the installiation disk of Windows XP pro. Do you think this problem is fixable, I need this fixed As soon as possible!

Castle_Rock

ok, I was able to boot my computer, but the only problem now is that it is taking about 15-20 min to get passed the XP boot screen, how do i make the boot screen faster?

What did you do to get it to boot? And do you have the option of doing a System Restore now, to a date prior to these problems?

Start > Run msconfig > Launch System Restore?

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to as the "XP boot screen".

Castle_Rock

It still takes about 2 minutes, 35 seconds or longer before the XP logo with the blue bar going underneath it disappears and lets me logon. i have modified the BIOS, and reset the original settings, still don't work. Can you tell me what I might do to fix the BIOS, I have the BIOS set to quick boot, so therefore it should boot pretty fast, do you think the reinstalliation of XP is causing the problem (I seem to think reinstalling XP fixes the problems, which it has, but not this, I tried contacting Microsoft, but they weren't much help. Maybe you can give me some websites that give help with modifying the BIOS. Do you think this problem is fixable, I need this fixed As soon as possible. i do not have the option of doing a system restore, as I have to do a clean installation of XP.

Castle_Rock

Here's some info about my Motherboard and my BIOS:

Intel Corporation CA810e Desktop Board
Serial Number: IUC200514222
CA81020A.86A0005.P02.9911300426
Intel Processor 533MHz

BIOS version:

CA81020A.86A.0005.P02

I looked inside my computer and pulled plugs and put them back, but nothing has changed the boot process, i also tried that BootVis and its very difficult to work with, don't know what to do, I unchecked everything then rebooted the system, still did not work.

I wonder if there's a program that would allow me to specifically remove the BIOS and reinstall, it, if that does not solve the problem, I don't know whats wrong - I know its not Win XP, nor could it be my RAM - BTW, i did remove the 2 RAM cards inside my computer, then replaced them, do you think that might be the culprit of this problem? I can't think of what I've done that would cause the XP boot screen to take forever to load. This computer is not new nor is it old, its about 3 years maybe. I may try calling different computer techs and see what they say, this is a VERY difficult situation as I have no clue whats wrong with my computer.

In Bootvis there is an option to "optimize" the startup. That seems to help some folks. The other stuff is just a diagnostic tool; if you can figure out how to use it it might help identify the stage of the bootup process where the delay is taking place.

You can't reinstall the BIOS, per se, it is a CMOS chip with "flashed" data on it. You can, if you want to take the risk, look for a BIOS update for the model -- but the risk is great: if not done right, or you get the worng version -- the system can be simply unbootable and the chip has to be replaced.

Ram would not cause this delay.

Have you tried doing a Clean Boot to see if the delay is "Windows" based?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

And have you checked the Device Manager under the Primary and Secondary IDEs Controllers > Advanced Settings to see if either controller is in PIO mode? They should say Ultra DMA.

Since I've never done a BIOS flash myself, it's not in my 'comfort zone' to offer specific advice and confirmation on what you are about to do since the risk is severe if it fails.

Basically you need to determine your motherboard model number, and with that in hand go to the motherboard vendor's site to look for updates for that model

Everest Home Edition, a freebee, is pretty good at identifying all but the most obscure boards:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online