1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Hangs during Installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shidoran, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

I've never had a problem with this before, we had a virus and I installed Norton to get rid of it (which had its own problems) but I gave up and decided to reformat. Now windows XP won't even install properly. It copies the files over fine, formats fine, I've tried both FAT32 and NTFS for the C: partition but as soon as it restarts the computer and the windows xp logo comes up, it hangs. Have reformatted it over and over but it's the same. Any ideas?

Appreciate any help, I need my computer back ;_;

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did you disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

3. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

Howdy,

Yeh I tried all that... I've reinstalled XP before after a format with no problems. I'm starting to think my HDD has been corrupted, but I'm not sure if I need a new one or whether I have done something wrong. Should it be FAT32 rather than NTFS? My other two HDD's are FAT32 Format, and the computer is about 5 years old now. Still, I have an older computer wherein the HDD has never ended up anything like this. I haven't touched the hardware connections to it or anything.

Hrm...:confused:

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

5. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

Hmm thanks for that. I guess I can give that a shot. I assume this problem isn't related to my copy of XP. When it goes to reboot the computer, should it attempt an XP startup? something tells me it should go back into the installation and continue from where it left off.

6. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

Just as a follow up for anyone else that may be reading, I am perfectly comfortable with playing with BIOS settings, Drive partitions and medium level computer technical stuff if there isn't an easy answer. Appreciate all the help though. (y)

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

The drive passed the test? . . how do you have the boot order set in BIOS?

8. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

I didn't notice before, but the drive has been partitioned into 3 sections. I want to backup my data before I do any diagnostics just in case - I've had a little thing go wrong before and have lost everything. (That was microsoft's fault for trying to correct errors that weren't there...)

I'll let you know how I go. It might end up that I have to format the whole drive, delete all the partitions and start again completely. Strange thing I noticed though, I tried to install win98 just so I had an OS to work with but it won't even run the setup.exe file from the dos prompt (I used a win98 boot disk to load up). That one does my head in a little.....:confused:

And in answer to your question - I had it boot from the CDROM while I was trying to get XP to work, then I changed the boot order to the floppy drive to get the win98 boot disk to load up. I can always change it around to suit.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Probably because it could not find a FAT32 partition large enough to install on

10. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

Howdy all,

Seems to be a problem and I can't figure out why. I formatted the partition, and the only OS I could get on there was windows XP home. Don't ask me why, but this one works. I would prefer to put XP prof on there (I have genuine copies of both) but it still won't install. When I try and upgrade XP home to SP2 it stuffs up as well, and I have to reformat as it hangs again when the loading bar comes up. So I bit the bullet and decided that because I probably have too many bad sectors (the hdd is 5 years or so old too) I should get a new HDD. So I bought a brand new one.. funny thing though - same thing happens. since last format, I have changed the CD rom, added a CD/DVD combo and a generic 5.1 sound card. Thought it might have been the sound card so I disconnected it and tried again. Same thing. I'm running out of ideas as to what on earth the problem could be.... could it have anything to do with my motherboard?

One previous problem I had was that one of my hardware ports was stuffed so I ditched my old dialup modem to install the sound card there. Maybe it's an ongoing problem and I need to replace the board.. I don't know. Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

Forget formating from DOS or using the win98 disc . . boot from the XP install disc . . delete all partitions . . set up the one(s) you want and install XP . .

12. shidoran

shidoran Thread Starter

The reason I was attempting to go through windows 98 is because I tried the method you mentioned numerous times with no success. I'm running out of ideas because I've done everything I feel is theoretically possible with my knowledge for the situation.. if there's anything left... let me know....

13. devil_himself

devil_himself

Can you tell us at which point the installation hangs ..... like installing drivers ... or ...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice