1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP hangs/lags on Startup with Norton

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DizzyHeights, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DizzyHeights

DizzyHeights Thread Starter

Hi,

I installed XP Home last week (a legal copy!!!), but it is very slow to startup - or rather, it gets to desktop quickly, but then hangs for around 2 full minutes before loading Norton firewall and activating Norton AV (the latter's icon appears, but with a red cross). Immediately afterwards, my PPPofE broadband service kicks in as well.

My computer is Pentium 4 (1.8), with 512 RAM and 40gb HardDisk, so it is more than capable of running XP at a good speed, and indeed it does just that normally, except on start up.

I've tried the obvious stuff - there are not many things running at startup, and those that do load very quickly, until it reaches Norton (I have firewall and AV only). There's no spyware (I have spybot) and no viruses. Since loading ed XP a week ago, it has been like this from the moment we installed Norton. The little man who installed XP for me had never seen anything like it, but a quick Google threw up a few people who recognised the problem, but had no answers.

The really strange thing is that, even after turning off Norton at msconfig, it still hangs before loading the PPPofE, which IT DIDN'T DO BEFORE INSTALLING NORTON in the first place - that programme kicked in normally when it was on its own. It's as if Norton has corrupted something that doesn't depend on it being installed afterwards. Do you see what I mean?

Well, if there is anything you hear about that I could try, let me know!

2. smad

smad

Its norton that is slowing your cpu.. I have norton firewall and antivirus but it doesnt stop more than 25 secs.. my cpu is approx. the same as yours. Maybe you should check which programs run on windows startup?

3. BillC

BillC

There is a chance your Norton antivirus needs to be updated with the installation of XP. Go to this Symantec Support page and follow the steps given to see if that will help.

4. DizzyHeights

BillC

Thanks for your reply. The problem described on the webapge you link to certainly sounds like my problem, but I am completely up to date on my updates. Would you recommend re-installing again?

5. mobo

mobo

You can also try trimming down the startup folder by comparing your listings to this list. .

6. DizzyHeights

I've just experimented with re-installing Norton and updating bit by bit. I now see what the 'hang' is mentioned on that webpage and caused by the Common Clients Update, but this is not my problem. My hang comes later still in the startup, when all the icons appear on desktop.

I am not sure whether the problem is with my PPPofE service or Norton, but one of them is causing a long delay.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice