1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Hangs on Boot (Very slow)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MMatt524, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMatt524

MMatt524 Thread Starter

Greetings,

Running into a problem on my laptop running Windows XP Home... Boot times have ranged from as low as 2 minutes and as long as 4:30 since I got the computer. I understand that WinXP typically loads ~1 minute. Granted, I have a few programs running at startup (virus scan, odyssey client, etc), but 4 minutes is rediculous.

I've run Bootvis and gotten times down to around 120-140 seconds, but the "logon" task seems to hang still. It runs for about 70-90 of those 140 seconds, which coincides with CPU usage of between 0 and 20%, nothing major. This coincides with Window's blue welcome screen during the startup... so the boot goes fine until then, and after then, iut's just that it sits at "Welcome" for the better part of a minute and a half.

I've read some posts around various forums and made sure to disable the autodetect of TCP/IP settings on connections I'm not using, thinking that it was hanging there as it tried to find a domain or IP address for connections that don't exist. I've also killed most of the tasks that I don't need to run at startup through msconfig, but as I said, I'm still waiting 2 minutes per reboot.

Any ideas as to why the logon portion of the startup is sitting there for so long with no change? And more importantly, any ideas on how to fix it?

Much appreciated.

- Matt

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice