1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP hangs up totally when trying to access files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by davruss, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davruss

davruss Thread Starter

I have done several restores, but the problem still remains.

About a week ago, the system froze when I tried to access a file from start/my documents. From Start, I could access any of the programs on the left side of the screen, but all attempts to access files, my computer, control panel, search, etc. caused the computer to freeze, with powering off the only option.

I have tried restoring to an earlier date, and the file system works fine for a while but freezes. Today, I downloaded a spreadsheet, and in the process of saving it, the computer froze. I don't want to get into restoring farther and farther back, with the necessity of re-installing some programs, most notably Turbotax.

Any suggestions? The computer is running and I can access the internet and most, if not all programs.

Thanks

2. bobol

bobol

It's likely there's a virus recurring with each system restore...so let's try flush it/them out;
    For openers, let's run spybot and adaware [gotten from links below-also see the tutorial links for their setup]. After that I also suggest running Hijack This[link below] then follow the below instructions fully, and post the log in this thread, whereupon it'll be analysed by those-in-the-know here and then appropriate fixes will be suggested..

follow the next instructions on posting the Hijack This log here;

It’s very important that you save the log to its own permanent folder on your hard drive, such as Program Files/Hijack This, or My Documents/Hijack This, (NOT a temporary files folder) or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make, so that it can create proper back-ups and be able to restore them if necessary.

Close all open windows/and any open web browers and open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”. Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad. Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET;- Await further analysis here.

3. davruss

davruss Thread Starter

Bobol: Re problems with computer hanging up in trying to access files - by the way I get a Dr. Watson.

I have AdAware and did a complete scan with it and it found nothing. I further did a virus scan with MicroTrend PC-cillin and it found nothing. However, during the process of typing this response, PC-cillin found two instances of "J.S. Fortnight.M" and one of "Troj Agent 3", both of were designated as "clean successful" These two keep popping up all the time with the same notation that they have been cleaned.

Ok, I tried to download Hijack, and when I tried to run the program from Downloads, everything locked up.

What do I do?

4. bobol

bobol

run it in safemode if possible...oh i see you mean download from my link, things locked up?

5. davruss

davruss Thread Starter

Yes. I downloaded it from your link. It is a zip file and when I tried to open it, the computer froze. Do you want me to start it in safe mode and try to download it? Are my scans with AdAware and PC-illin adequate, prior to running HiJack?

Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice