1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp hard drive switched between machines

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zerogod, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zerogod

Zerogod Thread Starter

I'm sure there was an easier way to do this and I'm taking the difficult way.

I received 2 Panasonic toughbooks CF-18. #1 had screen smashed but mainboard worked perfect, #2 worked fine except usb ports had failed ... so #2 needed #1's mainboard so it would work perfect

i installed the board into #2 and went to boot up.. of course it wouldn't boot into xp because the boards were slightly different models and would just loop continuously.

i installed xp onto the machine again and now have a dual boot system both with xp professional. only one will boot obviously.

I only need the main one to boot that has all the old files and programs on it and delete the installation i just did.

In explorer i have the two installations, "Windows" and "Windows.0" with "Windows" being the one that won't boot.

which folders/files do i need to delete or copy from the working windows to the one that won't boot?

or is there an easier way?

i know the original windows installation won't boot because it's trying to load drivers for the old board and it's conflicting with the new board, i just don't have experience switching mainboards to work with previous OS.

Thanks. :)

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

If i've understood your post correctly you have installed xp and left the existing installation without formatting.If this is the case you need to start again only this time deleting the primary partician(press L to delete all data will be lost)set up will then format the drive fast or full your choice and install a fresh version of xp.Make sure you have all the drivers before you start.

3. Zerogod

Zerogod Thread Starter

not quite. i need to keep the original xp install. the guy i'm doing it for has all his programs installed and data for work purposes. but i can't boot up from that install because it's from a different machine, very similar, but different nonetheless.

4. huggie54

huggie54

try booting from xp disc and choose a repair on the damaged installation,go through the normal install procedure to the screen after the request to press F8 to agree,select the biggest install"the one with all the files to save" and press "r" to repair

5. Zerogod

Zerogod Thread Starter

it doesn't give that option like it usually does. just goes straight to the "select partition" to install windows.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice