1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved XP HDD, WIN 7 HDD, WIN 10 HDD, on a new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yeroled, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yeroled

yeroled Thread Starter

So not sure if this is a software or Hardware question;

Built a new gaming pc with no Hard drive as of yet.
    I tried a working XP hdd from another pc in it thinking it should work. trys to go into windows but then shuts down to window saying start normal or try to repair with same results with both choices.
    I tried a working windows 7 HDD and it did the same as the XP HDD.

Then took my 2.5 SDD out of my sony vaio w/ windows 10 and put in in my new build and it booted up perfect.

Am i missing something? Shouldn't it have booted up with either HDD XP or win7 as long as the Windows was working well in those other other PC's. or was it that the SDD that made all the difference? or was it all new pc's only recognize windows 10 now? Oh they were all sata's.

Neil

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The problem with XP and 7 was probably the drivers were not correct for the new PC.
    Windows 10 has many more drivers built-in and that's why it worked. The fact it's on an SSD is irrelevant.
    However I think that 10 on the new PC will not activate unless you buy a new license key for it.

AmateurJohn likes this.
  3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

It doesn't work like that for reasons stated by managed. Wrong drivers, wrong chipset, wrong BIOS. Yep...you got lucky with windows 10 working.

When you build a system and install a HDD/SSD you have to do a clean install of a OS.

AmateurJohn likes this.
  4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Neil:

You cannot install a HDD/SSD containing a Windows operating system from another computer into your newly-built gaming computer and expect it to boot up and work.
    That's why you had the boot up issue that you did with your Windows XP and Windows 7 HDD's.
    I'm also surprised that issue didn't occur with your Windows 10 SSD.

And as already stated, you're going to have an activation issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Since you took your 2.5 SDD out of your sony vaio w/ windows 10 and ran it with a different motherboard it may not work right when you put it back. Like managed said each motherboard hard drive windows installation has its own set of special drivers for that motherboard.

6. yeroled

yeroled Thread Starter

ok thxs guys

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice