1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp help for acer desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by generic_user, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. generic_user

generic_user Thread Starter

hi. hope some one can help my little brother.
    acer desktop had probs so got local tech to 'fix' it. he added a new hard drive (with a few annoying and unnecessary programs) and told them to 'make sure they didnt try to update windows' (the guy dint even disable auto updates). anyhow what my bro now has is a pc without full functionality of OS as GAN has obviously recognised discrepancy.
    the xp disc that they have authourised key for (bundled with acer) will not reformat hard drives.
    i imagine options to be:
    - ignore/remove new hard drive and make old drive primary again then reformat with original disc
    - purchase new xp disc - is this possible if not some kind of builder of hardware and if so where from and approx cost (vista is more readily available but dont think his system can stand the strain)
    any sugestions appreciated (i have already mentioned to him that the $400 he has shelled out to this guy plus the $200 odd he is likely up for to get new xp would actually purchase a new pc these days).

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What kind of recovery disk do you have that doesn't format the drive and actually recover the operating system? That would be the first place I'd start. Even if the hard drive was replaced, the recovery disks should work.

3. generic_user

generic_user Thread Starter

recovery disks are specific to acer i believe

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I thought you had an Acer. I guess I don't get what the problem is.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice