1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Help - Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mleaton, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mleaton

mleaton Thread Starter

Hello

I was recently infected with a nasty virus/worm that auto downloaded and attacked my hard drive and several .exe files and such. I was able to stop it from spreading and remove it, but I had to delete several crucial files during the process. Example: msconfg.exe was infected, could not be repaired and had to be deleted and there were a few others. It completely spread through system restore, etc. etc.

The system itself it operating so so now, but I also lost my ability to get online with my wireless connection. All I get is error=678 - remote computer does not answer. I've followed all advice I can find on this subject and I cannot repair it. (I'm having to use dial up to post this)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to reinstall XP in order to get what I need back on the system, but I have a question first. This system was bought in 2000 and came with Windows 98. I purchased and installed an XP upgrade in 2003.

What I would like to know is:
    Can I uninstall the XP upgrade and if I do, will it revert back to Windows 98 and would I then be able to reinstall the upgrade to get these items back? I am a newbie at this kind of thing and saw in my Add/Remove Programs list that you can uninstall the XP upgrade, so I thought I would ask.

If this is not an option, does anyone have any advice regarding what I would need to do?

Thanks,
    Melissa

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If your goal is to end up with a new installation of XP, you can wipe the drive and install XP without having to install win98. This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

wrs

3. mleaton

mleaton Thread Starter

We had to take it in and do a complete wipe once before and when they installed the full version of XP, it slowed the system down so bad that we had to take it back, do the wipe again and have 98 put back on and reinstall the XP upgrade and then it was fine. I know it doesn't make much sense, but we basically found out that this system is not powerful enough to support a full install of XP. (It took 13 minutes just to open Internet Explorer and another 7 for it to connect)

The only reason I am even thinking of trying to reinstall XP is to get rid of the error=678 message and to get back what has been lost. I figured the reinstall is my only option because nothing else has worked. I'm just not sure what to do and didn't know if what I mentioned above would work or not.

Thanks for replying and for the input. If all else fails, we may have to give it a try again.

Kindest Regards,
    Melissa

4. Headbangor

Headbangor

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Have you looked at this for the error?

I suspect that whoever told you they wiped the drive and performed a clean install was pullng wool over your eyes . . if the machine will run XP installed over the top of 98, it will handle a clean install much better.

If you have your data backed up, you can follow the first link I gave and perform the clean install if you delete partitions and format. After the installation, you can diasable some services to improve performance.

wrs

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice