1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP hibernation stopped working!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by madbadger, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madbadger

madbadger Thread Starter

Once more I need your combined wisdom:

New PC, fresh install XP, all going fine, hibernating nicely overnight. Then, after a power cut while we slept, PC "hibernating".............I woke to an unresponding PC.

Surely not!!! Using XP !!!!!!

I HAD TO PRESS THE RESET BUTTON! OH MY GOD! I'd forgotten I had a reset button in those idyllic first 4 weeks in XP.

Anyway, began to reboot, said it couldn't restore prev state, should it continue with reboot & delete prev state? I said fine, & all rebooted normally.

Since that event I cannot hibernate, each time I resume from a hibernation state the machine says unable to resume prev state & has to dump it & reboot from scratch. I've unchecked & rechecked hibernation to no avail, at the moment i'm stuck with stand by mode & even that is no F*ing use as I have to press reset to get back into the PC if I leave it for more than approx half an hour which is the time interval I've set it to power down the hard drive in power options of XP.

I've been to the Knowledge base & reported the error codes to Micro$oft, who have no answers as yet. I'm sure someone out there is cleverer that that, pleeeeeese let me know.

Do you think my RAM might be F*ed by the power cut? I doubt it, I've actually improved the way some 3D games work since the hibernation problem which I think would be quite a stress on any system.

Thanks once again. PS so glad to see you're back on line, I'm heading for the Donate to TSG link after sending this.

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Have you tried deleting the hiberfil.sys file after turning off hibernation?

Try this, disable hibernation and restart the computer.

Open explorer and enable showing of all files and tell it not to hide protected system files. and see if there is a hidden file called hiberfil.sys. If so, delete it.

Then go and re-enable hibernation and see if it works.

3. madbadger

madbadger Thread Starter

Thanx for your input Brooks, unfortunately I can't find hiberfil.sys, any other thoughts?

BTW I found an error report mentioning that the computer was trying to write to a memory address which wasn't allowed, or something like that, I've sent it off to Micro$oft, but who knows how long I'll wait to hear anything.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice