1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp home activation passed but didn't?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ALLMAN, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALLMAN

ALLMAN Thread Starter

I Reformatted hd and reinstalled xp home with my xp disk but used the activation numbers on the case, this computer did have xp home, went through activation and it passed, 20 days later it tells me before loading desktop that windows need to be activated,I click yes activate now, and then it logs off again and back to user name.it's a cycle like it wont even let me in. I have read that some xp disks are retail and some are oem. If this cp had oem and I installed retail,could this be the cause?:confused: and how do I get passed it with the use of the activation numbers on the case.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    thats more than likely what happened. u cant mix and match oem and retail. if it needs an oem disk thats what u will have to use.when u are typing the code in u sometimes get a warning that the key isnt valid before u go any further but not always.its possible that u might have typed in the wrong code 8s look like Bs 0s look like Os etc. try to see if u can borrow an oem copy from someone and try it again using the sticker u have on the computer. hope this helps u.

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It could be worth going through the telephone method of activation, explain the situation and someimtes, on your assurance that the system isn't in use elsewhere, they might guide you through the Change Product Key procedure. I can't help you with the Canadian telephone line number but it should appear on your screen as one of the options.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice