1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home and networking

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DarrenW, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

Has anyone figured out a way to tweak xp home so it can join a domain on a NT/2000 network?

2. Dan O

Dan O

Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an Active Directory domain. For obvious reasons, the Domain Wizard is also missing in Home Edition.

It also does not support the network features:

IPSecurity (IPSec)
    SNMP
    Simple TCP/IP services
    SAP Agent
    Client Service for NetWare
    Network Monitor
    Multiple Roaming feature

You are going to have to upgrade to Professional Edition.

3. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

Thanks Dan-O,
    I did notice that some of those services are listed as additions that can be installed. One question though, Active Directory is not supported but what about an NT 4.0 domain?
    Not that i'm trying to cheap out by using XP Home, i'd prefer Pro, but i've got salesmen with laptops already bought with XP home. RAS dial-in is not an option either.

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

Thanks Dan-O,
    I checked the link. It states that Home edition DOES NOT support domains. They will have to buy the Pro upgrade

6. Dan O

Dan O

Darren,

I read it more closely and found the statement has well. But maybe you still don't. What exactly would you like them to do? You they only need to Share files and printers you don't have to logon the domain.

7. mole

mole

I have no experience with XP, either home or Pro, but Dan O might be on to something. You should still be able to share drives/devices and access them.

In WinNT/2k if you don't want to log the computer into the domain, but want to reach out and log in as a domain user, what I do is this from the command prompt:

net use [x]: \\servername\sharename /USER:domainname\username

Where [x] is the drive letter or logical device you want to map.

That will get you onto a share in a domain provided that you have a valid user account (in the domain) and permissions to access that share without logging the computer into the domain in a formal logon... as in running a logon script and authentication onto the local machine through the domain controller. It helps if the local username and password are synchronized to the username and passowrd on the domain. You may also have to use the full server name with the domain name or substitute the ip of the server you are connecting to.

That works in NT, give it a try in XP and see if it works and let us know.

Good luck.

8. mole

mole

Maybe XP home edition is like Win9x with respect to not supporting all of the command line options of Net.exe and you will not be able run the /USER: switch.

Still, give it a try.

BTW - Darren, just noticed who you are and was wondering if you could give a weather report from up there in Alberta? My family visited Glacier Park in MT this past July and it was the warmest I had ever seen it there, mid 80's to near 90 F one day and very dry...that was just before the fire on the west side of the divide.

9. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

Alas, these users do need to log-in to the domain to use some applications, simple file and print sharing is not enough. I convinced them to buy the Pro upgrade. BTW, the sales rep had told them that Home edition would work on a domain when they bought their machines, then would do nothing for them when I told him it wouldn't. Nice eh?
    Mole, the weather up here is typical winter ranging from -10 to +5 degrees celcius (about 10 to 40 farenheit?). And yes, we have been in near drought conditions here (re: the fire at Glacier). I'm about 1 hour north of Waterton National Park (the Canuck side of Glacier)

10. mole

mole

I have had some luck connecting Win9x and WinNT/2K workstations that have not joined a domain allowing users to access domain resources like shared drives and printers.

First each user must have a domain account with a unique user name, password and permissions appropriate to their needs and the security of the network.

Now similar to as I said before in an earlier post, but a must this way is to create a local user account on the local machine for the specific user(s) that exactly matches the user name and password of the domain account. (Password synchronization is a must, so when they expire it gets tricky.)

Two separate things, the domain account and the local user account. Now with the client PCs running Windows Networking, TCP/IP and/or NetBeuI, log on as a local user and map a drive into a resource on the domain. Remember, we have not joined a domain on the local PC. Use the

net.exe use [x]: \\servername\sharename

command I gave before, but you do not have to include the /USER:domainname\username switch.

That could be taken as a slight security hole, but remember, the user must ALSO have a valid account on the domain, so the domain security is still in good shape - not compromised by anyone who does not belong.

Still, I have no experience w/ XP, but I hate to have to give up on something. I have seen only one isolated case where this did not work on NT, 2K or 9X.

Thanks for the wx report.

11. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

Well Mole,
    Since you're so persistent and I like that, i will try the net use command on the one XP Home machine i've got left. I upgraded the other to Pro (i think i like XP now that i've played with it a bit). I will let you know if it works. Thanks!

12. mole

mole

I'm actually hard headed. I hope it works, it makes me mad too that the sales person sold your clients something they could not use straight away as expected.

As for being persistent, I started my venture into IT back in 1997 when as a lowly user I approached our LAN team where I work with a conflict between two applications that was crashing PCs all the time and was told the problem was "impossible to resolve" and there was nothing that could be done. That was the wrong thing to say to me or the right thing depending on how you look at it, because it was NOT impossible to resolve and I am now an administrator on that very application delivery system where the problem existed.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice