1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home boot problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HalTrout, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HalTrout

HalTrout Thread Starter

This morning when booting up my Dell laptop with XP home I was greeted with the following:

"systemroot/system32/config/software or its log or alternate, absent or not available". The laptop freezes with that displayed.

I've tried booting into safe mode for a system restore, but get the same message. Can anyone think of something before I start doing my reinstall?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. HalTrout

HalTrout Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil for pointing me in the right direction! :)
    I'll let you know how I fare. Thanks again. I love this place....

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may seem complicated, but it is simple in principle. You boot up with some other bootable OS, you find the old registry hives, rename them, and replace the ones that were in use.

I have done it and it works marvelously. Just remember that you never do anything on a computer that you can't undo. So, when you find a registry hive, like "system", rename it to something like "system.old" so that you could always go back if you needed to. Then, take the old system file with the complicated name and change that to "system" (with no file endings). Do that with the rest of them. Shut down and boot up. :D

============================================

After you are all done with this, you may want to consider making a full system backup from time to time. Then if something like this ever happens again (or worse like complete drive failure), you can get back up and running easily.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice