1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp home crash crash crash!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spacemonkey, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spacemonkey

spacemonkey Thread Starter

i have recently rebuilt my comp due to endless re-installs of xp as it insisted on crashing all the time.

I have changed my mb and hardrives however i am still getting a problem where everything is running fine then suddenly it will shut down. I have checked the power source and that is fine as there is always a constant power led on my mb. I am running a recent version of mcafee anti and is has not found any probs previously or now.

This is realy getting very annouying now and im at the end of my teather with it. I ave done everything within my knowledge of fixing it but to no avail. I know the details im explaining are very vauge but i dont know what it is. When xp's error msg appears after it re-boots i follow the link to find out that it is a device driver error

Please if any of you have any ideas.

Phil

2. mobo

mobo

One area you could look at would be video drivers as well as watch system temps.

3. rude

rude

I know I'm probably going to catch a LOT of flack over this but,DUMP McAfee.I,personally have had TONS of problems with it,and my boss,on5 computers, has gone through the same anguish that you are now experiencing.

I zeroed McAfee a little over a year ago and am now running AVG pro and ZoneAlarm Pro for virus and firewall protection.The only problems I have encountered since killing McAfee has been self inflicted and minor.

My boss on the other hand began having his problems shortly after installing McAfee,(he is in denial,thinking he can get it to work).Several thousand dollars later(the tech is getting rich),he is starting to ask me how I like AVG and ZoneAlarm.

I should also mention that I had just as many problems with Norton.Ultimately the decision is up to you,but you know...you could always zero out the McAfee,install AVG and ZoneAlarm free versions and run with them for a month or two as a test.

Just MY humble opinion,and I'm sure you'll get more from other members here.

4. mcse72

mcse72

Although this won't determine the cause, you can go into your system properties and in the advanced tab, unclick automatically restart on system failures.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!