1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP (Home) Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Calm Dog, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Calm Dog

Calm Dog Thread Starter

This is a hard one to explain, but it's really annoying.

Just got my first XP computer and I noticed something wrong with drag & drop immediately. For example, if I want to copy a file from SOURCE to TARGET, I would do the following:
    - Open Explorer
    - Left-click SOURCE in the left pane to display the files (SOURCE highlights)
    - Right-click a file in the right pane and drag it to TARGET in the left pane (TARGET highlights)
    - Drop the file. At this point, the context menu (Move here, Copy here, etc.) appears, but now TARGET is no longer highlighted. SOURCE is highlighted again!
    If I select Copy here, the file will copy correctly, but since the target folder is not highlighted, I always have to check to be sure.

I'm hoping someone has a fix for this. No one at Dell seems to be able to comprehend the problem, let alone suggest a fix.
    Thanks.:confused:

2. cnm

cnm

Shouldn't that be LEFT click on the source, to drag it? Right-click to get the context menu (but not drag).

3. Calm Dog

Calm Dog Thread Starter

Nope. RIGHT-click and drag. When you drop, you get a menu with four options:
    Copy here
    Move Here
    Create Shortcuts Here
    Cancel

Been doing it that way since back in Windows 95. Guess I've just gotten used to it.

I have spoken to Dell since posting. Their Application Support guy says he thinks it's standard behavior with Windows XP - so you know where you're copying FROM. My thought - If you're having trouble retaining THAT information, it's time to put the mouse away.
    Keith

4. cnm

cnm

You're right, I just tried it, you can drag with either left or right click. (But only right click gives you context menu).

5. Calm Dog

Calm Dog Thread Starter

cnm -
    I'm still trying to verify if the strange highlighting is now a 'feature' and not a 'bug'. I assume you're running XP. What happens to the highlight when you RIGHT-click, drag and drop? Does the the source folder highlight again, or does the target folder stay highlighted until you select from the context menu? I've got the distinct feeling that Dell is yanking my chain on this. Thanks.

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

As soon as I release the right click the source folder highlites for me not the target folder...and it is highlited in a lighter color rather than the default blue...it does in fact go to the desired folder though if I click copy or move from the context menu

EDIT: It does the same thing if I right click the file in the right pane and select cut or copy ...then right click the target in the left pane and select paste

buck

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy agian

As another note...I just tried it on a machine with 98SE with IE6 and it is the same...

Then I tried it on a 98SE machine that still has IE5.01 and it works the way you wish it would

buck

8. Calm Dog

Calm Dog Thread Starter

Buck -
    Then it's apparently a "feature", for whatever twisted reason. I'm glad someone finally understood my rambling description of the problem. Thanks for the clear reply. Looks like I'll have to change my ways.
    Keith

9. cnm

cnm

I always drag with left click - don't understand reason for using right click to drag??

10. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy Calm Dog

Never thought about it until you brought it up...but it does seem odd...the older way makes more sense

progress :rolleyes:

cnm... How are you sure it goes where you want it to without checking..I think that's what Calm Dog is pointing out...it also gives you the option of leaving the original where it was

buck

11. Miz

Miz

cnm - sometimes you don't want to move the file, just copy it. That's when the right click comes into play because the operating system has context sensitive defaults for copying and moving objects. When you drag and drop a file from one hard drive to another, copying is the default operation. But when you drag between two folders on the same drive, moving is the default operation.

12. cnm

cnm

Oh, I see. That explains it. Personally I always use Send to->Any folder. Or Ctrl left-click, which copies instead of moves. Lots of different ways to skin that cat! :cool:

13. Calm Dog

Calm Dog Thread Starter

cnm -
    Send to->Any folder?? Sounds handy. Where did that option come from? Not familiar with it.

14. cnm

cnm

15. Calm Dog

Calm Dog Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice