1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home-Files, Programs won't initialize or run

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RussPSU, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RussPSU

RussPSU Thread Starter

I have a seven year-old Dimension 4600 (XP Home Edition) which I love; it has been a major help and has worked on the whole beautifully.* Everything in the case is stock, except for a bit of additional RAM I added some years ago.

Unfortunately I can't use the Dimension, as a week ago or so it stopped functioning.* The desktop loads normally, but I get two basic types of message on attempts to run programs. A moment ago, for example when I tried to open Windows Live Mail, I got the Application Error flag saying, "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the the application."* I get variations on that theme, including "Invalid" this and that.* Nothing will run.

I've never wiped a hard drive and reinstalled an operating system and made a few attempts here; but the computer will not boot from an external CD/DVD drive, saying a more recent version of the OS is on board.* So I seem to be stuck.

I should mention that a few years ago I got what proved to be an ill-advised notion to use the Vista OS installation disk that came with my Inspiron 1525 on the PC. That installlation failed, naturally, but remnants of Vista hung on to torment the PC and me; subesquently, when rebooting I have to watch carefully for the "older version of Windows" language on the DOS-screen portion of the bootup to ensure I enter that, or the machine defaults to endless looping through a failed attempt to load the residual Vista fragments. My fault; and I have no idea how to get those Vista fragments off the machine.

My belief is that the hard drive wants to get well and go back to work; but I don't know how to get it there.* Can anyone suggest a fix for a middling-skill user? I would hope to avoid installation of a new hard drive or purchase of a new PC.

I thank you sincerely for any time and consideration you may be able to give this matter.*

Respectfully,

Russ

2. pip22

pip22

I suggest you perform a complete factory recovery using the Dell CD supplied with the PC.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!