1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home Freezes Even After

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ntscape0, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ntscape0

ntscape0 Thread Starter

aopen computer
    Pentium 4
    2 gig hard drive
    g force 128
    Zone alarm pro
    Nortons System works 2004
    Windows updates all in order check daily
    Clean my system out, run ad aware, optimize etc.

Ok soemthing wierd happen, my computer when I turned it on didn't boot to windows it just had a balck screen and blinked. I took it in where I bought it,
    they called and said they found no virus, or hardware problem what caused this was unknown but they took my hard drive out put in a new one re loaded windows XP home , i asked for a new CD so I can boot if needed and I was told my old copy is fine. So a very clean system, now my computer does weird stuff, like when I am typing a delay happens and the words appear seconds later. My screen will flash only a second, my mouse pointer shakes at times and XP freezes up all the time it never did before. It runs like I have a virus but I checked with nortons anti virus online at the website and then trend micro, now i was told that XP home edition if purchased from a dealer with it already installed the CD given to you can only be used 5 times and then it is no good unless it is taken in and the store gives a new registration number and authorization to unlock windows. I call the store and they said not to be concerned that I can go back to the repair shop and get another copy and registraion however after 2 years from the purchase date we will not cover the cost of XP you'll have to upgrade or buy it on your own.

2. Lobos

Lobos

i noticed you only have a 2 gig hard drive usually u need alot bigger hard drive than that nowadays plus how much memory are you running just asking you might want check that out

3. steve65

steve65

First of all, if you are installing on the same machine you can use it as many times as you need. If you install it on another machine and call microsoft and promise that you retired the old machine and try to do that more than 5 times - well they are going to figure that you are lying to them and are going to refuse to issue you another license code.

It sounds to me like your eating processor cycles. Disconnect the machine from the internet. press ctl - alt - del at one time to bring up the task manager. Under performance tab look at your CPU useage. If your cpu usage is high >50 start shutting down programs like zone alarm and anti-virus (like i said disconnect from the internet 1st) and anything else you see in the system tray (lower right corner of the screen). Keep an eye on the processor usage to see if ending one of the programs makes a dramatic improvement. I'm thinking that you do not have your specs listed correctly as a 2Gig HDD and 384K memory would be virtually impossible for a newer machine.

Steve

4. ntscape0

ntscape0 Thread Starter

Pentium 4 cpu 1.80ghz
    1.80GHz
    256 MB RAM

No cpu usage is way below 50

5. steve65

steve65

Check your device manager for "yellow exclamation points" (Start> Control Panel > System > Hardware) Items flagged indicate devices that do not have the proper drivers installed.

Steve

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice