1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home - Getting Kicked off Cable over and over

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Senor_Loin, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Senor_Loin

Senor_Loin Thread Starter

Since 04/14/04 I have been getting booted off my cable connection over and over and over and over again; no error messages, just stops [modem keeps flashing]. After rebooting it operates for a few seconds.

This started after receiving a Channel Message, which read something to the effect of, "New Device on Channel 2". The message occurred when logging on to Windows. After x-ing out of this message the saga began and continues. I have contacted my ISP [Comcast] 3x, in which everything indicates being normal; the other computer is not affected; it is running XP Pro and connected to another port on the hub which connects both computers to the Internet.

I have performed the follwoing: SpyHunter, Virus Scan, System Restore, Defrag, Microsoft Updates, and even System Mechanic.

Can someone help me? :confused:

2. rude

rude

Try this: Control panel/Network Connections,you should see the "Local Area Connection" icon,right click and select "Properties".On the "General tab", select
    "Configure".On the next box,select the "Power Management" tab.Untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".ok

Let me know if this works

3. Senor_Loin

Thank you for your response; it is very much appreciated. As per your directions, I am assuming 'tab.Untick' means 'de-select' "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I have done this as this selected.

For your information: Nvidia nForce MCP Networking Adaptor - System indicated this is operating properly.

Unfortunately, there is no change to the happenings of my connection. Additionally, on start up the following black-screen now appears:

Phoenix - Award BIOS v6. 00PG
    An Energy Star ALLY Copyright (c) 1984-2003
    Phoenix Technologies, LTD

CG0515

Primary Master: WDC WD800JB-00DUA3 75.13B75
    Primary Slave: None
    Secondary Master: COM4824 VER 1.00
    Secondary Slave: None

WARNING! CPU has been changed.
    Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS Setup and remember to save before quitting.

Press F8 to enable System Configuration
    Press F9 to select Booting Device after post
    Press F1 to Continue, Del to enter Setup

4. rude

rude

You may have picked up something nasty

Before running ANY scan for virus,trojan,worm etc. you should ALWAYS turn off System Restore as copies of everything you are trying to get rid of are in System Restore just waiting for you to put them back where they came from in the first place.

This will delete all restore points on your machine,but if they are infected you don't want them anyway.

Another good thing to do before running the scans is to clear out your TIF and other temp files.
    In Internet Options, under the General tab click the Delete temporary internet files, choose to delete all Offline content.
    Also, go to Start - Search - Files or folders - in the "All or part of the file name" box, type: *.tmp and choose Edit - select all - File - delete.
    Do the same for "Cookies"

Empty the contents of the C:\Windows\temp folder and C:\temp folder, if you have one.
    Empty Recycle bin.

Now you are ready to scan your system using:

Spybot Search & Destroy is a free program that does a good job and can be found here:http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Another thing you can do is an online system scan from here: http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Always make sure to update whatever scanning program you use before doing scans.

Also,if you can,it would help if you could give the whole message you recieved.

5. Senor_Loin

Having followed your instructions to the tee, my machine is clean as a whistle. Unfortunately…

The host 'mail.comcast.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Having done some poking around, I have found the following:

In the Device Manager there is a yellow exclamation point on the icon for: OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. This is a drop down link from: IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers.

By right clicking on properties:

General Tab –

Device Type: OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Manufacturer: IEEE 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Ve

Device status –

This device cannot start. [Code 10]

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Device usage: Use this device [enable]

Uninstall and then reinstall your device.
    To resolve the problem that is causing Device Manager to show an error code for your device, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the device.
    To uninstall your device
    1. Open Device Manager.
    2. If the category for your device is not expanded, double-click the category.
    3. Under the category for your device, right-click the device that you want to uninstall, and then click Uninstall.
    4. In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.
    Note
    o To open Device Manager, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    Once you have removed your device, use the Add Hardware Wizard to reinstall it.
    To reinstall your device
    1. Close any open programs.
    2. Start the Add Hardware Wizard.
    3. Click Next, and wait for Windows to search for Plug and Play devices. Most new devices are Plug and Play, so you rarely need to go beyond this step.
    4. If no Plug and Play devices are found, a list of devices appears. Click Add a new hardware device, and then click Next.
    5. Click Install the hardware that I manually select from a list, and then click Next.
    6. In the Common hardware types list, click the appropriate device category, and then click Next.
    7. In the Manufacturers list, click the manufacturer of your device; in the Models list, click the model name.

Or, click Have Disk if you have an updated or manufacturer-supplied driver to install for your device.
    8. Click Next, and then follow the wizard's instructions to complete the installation.
    Note
    o To open the Add Hardware Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Printers and Other Hardware. Under See Also, click Add Hardware.
    Does uninstalling and reinstalling your device solve the problem?

Answer: No

Detach and then reattach your device.
    Important
    · The following procedure might require you to restart your computer, which will close this troubleshooter.

Either print this topic or make a note of the instructions, so that you can complete the troubleshooting steps after your computer restarts. To print out this topic, right-click the page displayed on your screen, and then click Print.

If your problem isn't solved after you restart your computer, return to Device Manager, reopen this troubleshooter, and answer each question as you answered it initially until you return to this page.
    To resolve the problem that is causing Device Manager to show an error for your device, remove and reattach the device using one of the following sets of instructions.
    Note
    · If your device is an internal device such as a PCI card, you must use the second set of instructions on this page, which require that you turn off your computer before you detach the device.
    If you are using a hotplug type of device (such as USB, 1394, or Cardbus)
    1. Detach your device from your computer.
    2. Reattach your device. Make sure that all cables are plugged in securely.
    3. Test whether your device is working correctly.
    If you are using a different type of device, or if you are not sure which type of device you have
    1. Click Start, click Turn off computer, and then click Turn Off.

If you are using Windows XP Professional Edition, click Start, click Turn off computer, select Restart from the drop-down list, and then click OK.
    2. Detach your device from your computer.

If your device is a card, pull it out of its slot. If the device is attached with a cable, unplug the cable from the computer.
    3. Reattach your device. Make sure that all cards are tightly seated in their slots, and that all cables are plugged in securely.
    4. Start your computer again, and check whether the device is working correctly.
    Does detaching and then reattaching the device solve the problem?

Answer: I have not attached a device - N/A

Driver Tab –
    OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 7/1/2001
    Driver Version: 5.1.2535
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher
    Driver details: OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/1394bus.sys – File Version: 5.1.2600.1106 [xpsp1.020828-1920] Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows XP Publisher

C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/arp1394.sys - File Version: 5.1.2600.1106 [xpsp1.020828-1920] Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows XP Publisher

C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/enum1934.sys - File Version: 5.1.2600.0 [xpclient.010817-1148] Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows XP Publisher

C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/nic1394.sys - File Version: 5.1.2600.0.1106 [xpsp1.020828-1920] Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows XP Publisher

C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/ohci1394.sys - File Version: 5.1.2600.0.1106 [xpsp1.020828-1920] Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows XP Publisher

Note: Driver will not update using recommended setting

Resources Tab –
    OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Resource settings:
    This device isn’t using any resources because it has a problem.

6. Senor_Loin

Also found:

Date: 4/22/2004

Source: Dhcp

9:07:55 PM

Category: None

Type: Warning

Event ID: 1003

Description:

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00E04CA78C67. The following error occurred:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

7. Senor_Loin

When visiting: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. I receive the following:

Details

We're sorry
    There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be available elsewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for searching on this message; your search helps us identify those areas for which we need to provide more information.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The message is simply saying that there isn't a DHCP server available to process your IP address request. That's most likely due to being disconnected from the ISP's service.

9. snappy_31

snappy_31

Try to reset your cable modem and restart your PC .. Keep in mind if you have a static IP address it make change .. Hope this helps
    Peter

10. Senor_Loin

I have been in contact with my ISP - x5 at this point, thanx.

11. Senor_Loin

After modem reset and restart no connect at all...

12. Senor_Loin

13. snappy_31

snappy_31

Did you change your Network neighborhood computer name .. If so change it back to default .. Reboot .. setup IP address and settings for your LAN conection .. reboot if required or just continue .. IE properties .. set connection (LAN SETTINGS) to automatically obtain IP .. most of the issues with high speed servers is the DNS address and Wins or not all ISP info.

What is the ISP saying?

14. iaavagent

iaavagent

1 Have you run sfc?
    2 checked for a worm? {red warning on RPC page} also you get a warning on boot.
    3 In IE, advance settings, uncheck "allow third party browers extensions" {if doesn't help recheck}
    4 modem test?
    Thats all I can suggest.Sorry

15. iaavagent

iaavagent

Mobo,dai, or someone {with more experience than I}, help Senor Loin out on this problem?
    Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!