1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP HOME Laptop keeps switching off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sidcup Silver, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sidcup Silver

Sidcup Silver Thread Starter

After your success Claymore in enabling me to bring my Presario R3145EA laptop + XP Home back into use with nothing lost, the laptop now often switches itself off after 10 mins - 2 hours for no discernable reason.

There is no warning - just the switching off.

Can SKS tell me how to cure this please?

Is it something in the Power Management option of Control Manager perhaps?
    Would restoring to a date - say - a month ago help even though I had to repair recently??

SSS

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may be overheating and need the vents blown out ....

3. Sidcup Silver

Sorry to be naive but how do you do that on a laptop? Have blown dust out many times on a PC but never on a laptop.

W

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    same way as on a PC - just use compressed air near the vents - or a vacuum cleaner

watch out for static

5. Sidcup Silver

I actually took the bottom plate off but there was no build up of dust or fluff. The fins of the two fans are quite dusty but without taking them to pieces, you can merely do is blow the surface dust off. There wasn't much of that really. I also use the laptop balanced on wooden blocks to keep it elevated above the desk.

Could it possibly be something to do with the power cable which connects through the adapter?

I am now finding that the battery icon sometimes shows it as charging. If it turns off unexpectly, when I get it up and running again the symbol shows that it is rapidly un-charging. On yet others it just shows a battery symbol with a cross. When it worked normally, the symbol either showed a direct power symbol or the symbol with a blue band across it to say it was charging.
    I took the battery out but the system would only start up again if I replaced it.

Gee whiz aren't computers grand.....

6. Mustangnut

Mustangnut

I have had two seperate laptops have a similar problem. Hopefully, you are not having the same problem I had.

The spot where the adapter plugs in actually seperated from the laptop mother board. Since it wasn't getting a good connection, it would run on batteries until it was completely drained.

One was a Dell, the other was a HP.

The solution was to replace the mother board.

7. Sidcup Silver

I have a terrible feeling you have just described what is wrong with my system.

I take it that repairing a motherboard is out? My laptop was purchased in 2005.

How hard is it to replace a motherboard? I have installed hardware in a PC but a laptop is a different kettle of fish, isn't it. I am a beginner where motherboards are concerned.

I am hoping that a friend will test the adapter / power lead for me where it slots into the laptop but your experiences sound very akin to mine.

How is your latest laptop coping with this problem???????

8. Mustangnut

Mustangnut

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Was out of town for a few days and no access to the Net.

Replacing the motherboard on a laptop is a lot of work. You will need a small Phillips screwdriver, and a lot of patience. You will have to remove the screen and keyboard to get to the screws that hold down the motherboard. Before you go that far, I would check on the cost of the replacement board and see if it is cheaper to just buy a new laptop (which is what I did for one of the laptops since it was purchased in 2000). If that is the case, it is easier to get the hard drive out of a laptop than getting the motherboard out. You can take it to a repair shop and they should be able to transfer the data from your old drive to the new laptop.

If you do want to proceed with replacing the motherboard yourself, the best tip I can give you is place the screws in the same pattern as they were in the laptop... some are longer than others.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!