1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home Limited User Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by busterQ, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. busterQ

busterQ Thread Starter

I'm using an XP Home PC that is not connected to a home or local area network - it's all by its lonesome here at home - and I've read that for security it's best to surf the web in a Limited User acccount rather than in an Admin account. But...

1) I can't create a dial-up connection when logged on as a Limited User, and when I create one after changing the account type to Admin and then change it back to Limited User, the dial-up connection icon is gone from the Network Connections folder. I uninstalled File and Printer Sharing and Client for MS Networks for security, but I can't imagine that's making any difference.

2) Also, the All Programs menu doesn't work in the Limited User account, even if I move the programs folder to the All Users folder; not even to the All Users\Documents folder. The menu doesn't pop up when I hover the cursor over "All Programs" in the Start Menu. And I get an "Access Denied" message if I try to access the All Users\Start Menu\Startup folder.

Are these two things normal for a Limited user account in XP Home? If not, how do I fix the All Programs menu so I can access it and how do I connect to the Internet with a Limited User account?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Forget Limited User, go back to Administrator. If you're worried about stuff from the internet then just get a good Antivirus Program, a good firewll, and a good Adware/Spyware program.

My recommendations:
    AVG antivirus ( www.grisoft.com )
    ZoneAlarm Firewall ( www.zonelabs.com )
    Spybot and Adaware: ( http://spywareinfo.com/downloads.php?cat=sp#det)

Its a Limited Account for a good reason.

3. busterQ

busterQ Thread Starter

Are you saying you can't log on to the Internet in the Limited User account at all? If so, geez! Did M$ ever waste their time and our money on a really dumb version! A restricted user account with no web surfing ability! Secure web surfing is so not a priority with those bums. So a Limited User account is for what then...things like keeping your non-web surfing, game-playing kids from messing with the system?

I use all of those programs already, but I can't imagine they can make surfing the Net in the Admin account all that much safer, can they, when the system is basically running in full admin access mode? That allows worms, trojans and macros to have free reign, doesn't it? Ones that anti-virus programs miss? I don't know. I think I'd rather just upgrade to XP Pro, myself. I'd feel much better surfing the Net in a Restricted User account.

So it really isn't possible to connect to the Internet in a Limited User account at all?

4. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

try running the dial-up program as a different user.

5. busterQ

busterQ Thread Starter

I assume you do that from the admin account in safe mode? I'll try that. Thanks.

6. busterQ

busterQ Thread Starter

Well, for some reason the dial-up connection icons don't appear in the Network Connections folder in Safe Mode. Maybe I'll be able to do it from the Owner account in regular mode.

But it doesn't really matter, 'cause I'm posting this message from my desktop PC's Limited User account. Both the All Programs menu and the dial-up icons showed up just fine when I logged on for the first time to the Limited User account I just created.

So I know now that both would also be working in my laptop's Limited User account, if it weren't for one of the security procedures I did that changed the permissions of all the files on the hard drive - a procedure I didn't do on my desktop PC, thank goodness.

I can't find the two command lines I used, one after the other, but it apparently didn't do the job as well as a command you can use if you have the Windows 2000 Resource Kit, which I don't have. Again, I can't find the article on that procedure, so I don't remember the name of that command or the name of the file. What I do remember is that it's supposed to change the permissions of every file from the Everyone Group to the Restricted User Group, which, they say, is more secure.

So I think that's why the All Programs menu and dial-up icons aren't showing up in my laptop's Limited User account. And hopefully when I get the Resource Kit CD that command will fix the problem. (It better!)

Well I'm a happy camper! I CAN surf the web from a Limited User account after all! Very easily, in fact, when the permissions are set right. Cool! All the less tempting for hackers - all the safer for me. :D

7. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

No, do it with the limited user in normal windows, you right-click the dial-up executible (.EXE file) and select "Run As a Different user", and use an admin account

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice