1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp home network, will not connect to mapped drives

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redhotanblu, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redhotanblu

redhotanblu Thread Starter

problems began a week ago, i have 4 pc's, xp home on all. mine is the server/w-station. One of the other pc's began having problems connecting to a network drive. It seems the more I tried working, investigating, etc. with re-boots, routers off& on again, its now only allowing the main system to access an network drives. I have 7 mapped drives, only 2 pc's get used majority of time, these 2 are hardwired to a wr54g linksys & a bellsouth dsl router is connected to it too. 2 are wirelss. All will hold the i-net connection, but all 3 are getting the "pc has reached it limit of connections" windows error when I click to check a mapped drive. My tech guy seems to think the xp home limitation to 5 connections is the issue here,,,I understand the reasoning,,but i've been running this way for 3 years now. sure, we've had to re-boot & power on/off at times, but never has it gotten to this point! I am not 100% convinced that is problem. i mean if so, then when only the server/wstation is on & not being used, then why can't just 1 other pc connect to network drive? No way that 5 simultanious connections should be being used in that situation!
    anyone with advice, much appreciated. Info= 4 dells, xp home on all, 2 hardwired, 2 wireless.

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Home is limited to five concurrent connections but you only have 4 machines.

if you cut the internet do you still get the connection error? I would be concerned someone external has taken control of your pcs.

How are the drives mapped?
    No limits on the shares?
    Can you access the share by browsing even if the mapping fails?

Downsteam router is not connected via its wan port and has dhcp disabled?

3. redhotanblu

can only access shared drives on the one machine that is the server/w-station, they will not open on the others.
    I will try the i-net option.
    Drives were mapped to share specific application data. will have to check limits,,but my router has 256 bit encryption for security involved. I'm fairly pc knowledgable, except a novice with this stuff!
    the dchp is enabled thru the tcpip settings. I'm an accountant & this is really bad timing, but I appreciate your help,,will get with my tech guy later & try & answer the other Q's & anything else. thanks

4. redhotanblu

also, i'm in a fairly rural area, I did see 2 other networks when i veiwed once just last week. one is business accross hwy, couldn't tell on the other. seems like they only showed up on one of the wirless pc's, not on any of the others. thanks again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice