XP Home over XP Pro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PODNickerz

Hello,

Because of some reasons i would want to not use my xp pro which is installed on my computer and replace it with xp home,

If i just go through the normal installation with xp home, would that create any problems, like should i do it another way?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to do a clean install, you can't downgrade XP-Pro to XP-Home.

PODNickerz

Clean install?

Is that one of the options in the windows setup?
What does this do? Does it mean it formats my hard drive and then it installs xp home?

PODNickerz said:
Clean install?

Is that one of the options in the windows setup?
What does this do? Does it mean it formats my hard drive and then it installs xp home?
Yes, formatting the HD - getting rid of XP pro - and install XP Home

PODNickerz

Actually i have got an idea, could i do this? :
Seperate the drive into 2 partitions
Install Home on the new partition
Delete the winnt folder from the old partition
Cut the winnt folder from the new partition and paste it into the old drive
Reboot

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Nope. All the registry entries would point to the wrong copy on the wrong drive.

Take my word for it, you aren't going to find a shortcut to a clean install.

PODNickerz

ok this is what i will do, it would probably work but i thought i'd ask you people just to make sure:

I split my drive into 2 partitions, the new one i will put my files for backup and then format the one that has the windows xp pro in it, then i will install xp home and put back my files

That would work right?

PODNickerz

Also, i wanted to ask:

Is it a good thing to do if you install ALL of the windows updates? i.e service packs, other updates etc...
I would think yes but just to make sure too :D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've installed all the service packs and security updates on all my XP systems, they haven't hurt me. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online