XP Home questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mcseguy9

A couple of easy questions for you. First, can I use any XP Home CD to reinstall XP Home on a PC provided I have my own unique CD Key? Second, if I use a tool to acquire the CD Key for an XP Home installation on a hard drive that CD Key will work upon reinstall, correct?

I have a friend who has XP Home on his PC. He cannot find his CD and doesn't have his CD Key, either. I know there are tools out there to get the CD Key off the computer, but I'm mostly concerned about the XP Home CD and the use of that CD Key from off the computer. I have a copy of XP Home that came with my wife's laptop, so I plan to use that CD and the CD Key off of my friends PC to rework his PC. This will work, won't it?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
mcseguy9 said:
A couple of easy questions for you. First, can I use any XP Home CD to reinstall XP Home on a PC provided I have my own unique CD Key?
Nope. There are a number of different XP versions, OEM, Volume License, Retail. They all have a unique key sequence. Also, some OEM CD's will only install on a specific brand hardware.

Second, if I use a tool to acquire the CD Key for an XP Home installation on a hard drive that CD Key will work upon reinstall, correct?
If you use the same CD to install, the key should work.

I have a friend who has XP Home on his PC. He cannot find his CD and doesn't have his CD Key, either. I know there are tools out there to get the CD Key off the computer, but I'm mostly concerned about the XP Home CD and the use of that CD Key from off the computer. I have a copy of XP Home that came with my wife's laptop, so I plan to use that CD and the CD Key off of my friends PC to rework his PC. This will work, won't it?
The CD that came with your laptop may be specific to the laptop, with drivers for the laptop hardware. It's a crap shoot if it would work. I suggest your friend either find the CD or obtain one from the maker of his machine. Failing that, there's always the option of simply buying another copy.

mcseguy9

Excellent points, John. So even if I use his CD Key, obtained using one of those CD Key finding tools, there's no guarantee that my XP Home Edition CD, which is an operating system CD and not a restore CD, would work. Thanks for the help.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hey mcseguy, Are you really a MCSE? Always nice to have a few experts around here.

mcseguy9

Squashman, I'm an old NT 4.0 MCSE that hasn't used his skills in quite some time. An expert I am not. =)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online