1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home rundll32.exe goes to 100 percent cpu on control panel, remove programs option

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by davidreidok, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidreidok

davidreidok Thread Starter

I'm running windows xp home edition, up to date on critical updates.

grisoft free, free zone alarm, ewido free spyware, spyware blaster, etc etc and none of them show a infection.

computer is about 3 years old a compaq presario with 512k real memory.

It came pre installed from compaq with XP home so I do not have a windows xp install diskette altho I think I did make the cd restore copies when I got the computer new.

My problem is when I go to control panel, remove software option, the screen displays Please wait while the list is being populated and it just runs and runs. I do a ctrl alt delete and bring up task manager and it shows 100 percent CPU utilization with rundll32.exe showing 99 percent cpu utilization.

computer seems to be runing ok, except for this.

my question is does anyone know what is causing this? If I delete rundll32.exe, can I restore it from somewhere as I do not have the XP install disk due to the factory XP install.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/509747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice