1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home Service Pack1 woes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cooter-scooter, Nov 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cooter-scooter

cooter-scooter Thread Starter

Hi.
    This is a long shot but...
    I have XP home build 2600 and an Alcatel USB speedtouch modem for adsl. It all runs fine left alone. I have tried to install SP1 on two seperate occasions and both have resulted in re-installation of windows and all other software. After I install SP1 I have Safely remove hardware wizard constantly running, trying to un-install Alcatel speedtouch USB Diagnostics (PPP). The modem also frequently disconnects. Also, the DVD rom and CDRW fail to recognise disks that auto-started before. Installsheild cuts out when trying to install software and all apps have to be installed by My Computer/DVD Rom/Explore and double clicking setup manually. Sometimes this works, sometimes nothing. I have tried updating Modem drivers but problem continues and my connection speed is cut from 576.00kbps to 300.00kbps.
    At the moment everything is fine as i have not run xp updates since a clean install. I have also tried installing a newer version of Xp which included SP1. Same things happened again. System is Time Mars DDR333 XP2000 from UK.
    I have contacted Time and Alcatel but had no luck so far.
    If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

Chris

2. Dan O

Dan O

Chris,

SPs often cause strange problem because they are not tested as well as the original OS. I recommend you wait for the bugs to be worked out before trying again. For example, Windows 2000 SP3 has been out for some time but it is causing all kinds of problems. Micrsoft will fix it eventually.

Where did you find a copy of XP with SP1 included?

3. cooter-scooter

I ordered it from Dabs in the UK about a month ago and got it last week. I only bought it because the PC came with no disk, just a "recovery" image of XP stuck on the end of the hard drive. Eventually I would like to format the H/D and remove that Image and install my own version from the cd.

4. kevin19

kevin19

If I were you i'd format the H/D, install XP from the CD, then download SP1 and install it fresh. I have the same modem and it works fine with XP/SP1 using the drivers that came on the CD I got with it over a year ago.

Kev

5. cooter-scooter

Thanks kev
    but..
    The Xp version on the PC which runs is an image file
    When you re-install it you only put a "restore" cd in (the file is about 1.6mb) and the image from the Hard disk replaces the existing copy, back to "factory settings"
    The new version I have on cd is full XP home with sp1 included, and on installation both install, you have no options.
    Nice try tho..
    Chris

6. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

I'd take that XP CD and send it back to Dabs. Explain the situation and ask that they replace it with a vanilla version of XP or refund your money !!

7. cooter-scooter

Just a quick update for you guys who bothered to reply.
    i may have found the problem.
    It regards VIA chipsets and the article's instructions look pretty straight forward.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327805
    Try the above url for more info.
    Thanks to everyone who took the time etc
    I shall try this when I have less pressing work and let you all know.

Thanks

Chris

8. cooter-scooter

Hi
    I thought I'd enquire while I was online.
    As i said in the previous posts, if I want to reinstall XP my version is on an image file stored on the hard disk. If I get this SP1 problem sorted, I would like to format the hard disk and install another version I have on CD. How do I remove the image file from the hard disk. I think its in a hidden partition. I formatted the H/D a few weeks ago, and followed the on screen instructions and removed the only partition xp found, but after installing from the cd, the image file was still on there.
    Any help or advice, as always appreciated.
    Thanks

Chris

9. Dan O

Dan O

What do use to see the image file? i.e., MyComputer

What image software package do you use? i.e., Compaq provided.

I use Ghost and DriveImage and the image is just in another partition, which is not hidden.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/103332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice