1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home....Share Passwords

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JohnJ, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

I am running XP Home edition. I am connected to a peer to peer network. I want to share a folder but I want to put a password on it to only allow certain personnel to edit the files. Is this possible and if so how is it done??

thanks!

2. Del

Del

You should be able to use explorer and go to the folder, right click on it and go to sharing.
    Click Shared As and put in a read only password, should do the trick.

3. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

That's what we all thought here too. But it only give you the option to share with everyone on the network (full access) or not share it at all. No one can seem to find a way to assign a password.

Remember this is Windows XP Home Edition

Thanks

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

Thanks Dan O....that was just what I was looking for

6. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

Ok, I stand corrected. That helped but it didn't solve what I needed. I have spoke with our "SA" and he says it's not possible with XP home only XP pro.

So, now my question is: Is there a program I can download to add this feature?

To recap: I am trying to assign a password to a folder on XP home. I want to beable to access this folder over the network from another machine, running Windows ME, and require a password to make changes within the folder. Make sense?

Does anyone know of a program I can download to do this?

Thanks

7. Dan O

Dan O

JohnJ,

Your SA is correct. I forgot as I use only XP PRO. The key issue for file and folder security is support for the file format NTFS. From the articles are misleading and the fact that Microsoft offered NTFS with NT and 2000 who would thought they would remove it from XP Home, which is a sneaky way to force you to upgrade to XP PRO.

I generally don't recommend third party utilities as they some times can cause OS problems and some contain spyware. But many are available from www.download.com, such as Folder Guard.

You may consider upgrading to XP PRO and I am sorry about causing you confusion.

8. Mustnged

Mustnged

Thanks Dan O, you just taught me how to hide my secret file from my girfriend!

9. JohnJ

JohnJ Thread Starter

Alright. Thanks Dan O

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice