1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home Startup Really Slow

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gibby26, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gibby26

gibby26 Thread Starter

When I boot my laptop, it takes over 3 minutes from the time I click my user button until the hard drive stops loading. I have a number of programs in my Startup menu, but don't I need to have most of them there? Like my Sygate firewall, my Norton and AVG anti-virus programs, etc. I also have some periferals in the menu - like my printer, etc. Should it take that long to complete boot up? I run XP Home on my Dell, which has a Pentium 4 (1.7Gh) and 256 Ram. I regularly run Disk Cleanup, etc. I empty my Temp Internet Files daily, etc. Just not sure why it takes so long to boot.

Any ideas?

gibby26

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

You problem may be the two antivirus programs you are using . . try disabeling one and see if it starts up faster. You can do this in msconfig, using the Startup tab. Just uncheck the programs you do not want to start.

wrs

3. gibby26

gibby26 Thread Starter

Simpswr:

Thanks for the tip. I reviewed every item in my Start Up folder and unchecked a few I don't need, including NAV. Now boot-up takes about half the time it did before.

gibby26

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

You disabled Norton AntiVirus??!! . . not a good idea to run without antivirus!

wrs

5. gibby26

gibby26 Thread Starter

I am running AVG. But even if I don't have NAV in my Start Up folder, I think it still runs - doesn't it? Anyway, I like AVG better. Running both is probably not necessary.

gibby26

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

As long as you are running one . . running both in not just not necessary, it is guaranteed to cause problems.

and no . . if it does not start in msconfig, it is not running until you run the program manually. You do have AVG starting automatically?

wrs

7. gibby26

gibby26 Thread Starter

wrs:

AVG is in my Start Up folder - the icon is in the tool bar by the clock. And I run a scan about every other day. Also run Adaware scans at the same time - checking both for updates prior to the scans.

Check out my most recent post about the foreign e-mails not going thru.

Thanks for your advice!

gibby26

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Good on ya . .

wrs

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice