XP Home Startup Really Slow

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gibby26

When I boot my laptop, it takes over 3 minutes from the time I click my user button until the hard drive stops loading. I have a number of programs in my Startup menu, but don't I need to have most of them there? Like my Sygate firewall, my Norton and AVG anti-virus programs, etc. I also have some periferals in the menu - like my printer, etc. Should it take that long to complete boot up? I run XP Home on my Dell, which has a Pentium 4 (1.7Gh) and 256 Ram. I regularly run Disk Cleanup, etc. I empty my Temp Internet Files daily, etc. Just not sure why it takes so long to boot.

Any ideas?

gibby26

You problem may be the two antivirus programs you are using . . try disabeling one and see if it starts up faster. You can do this in msconfig, using the Startup tab. Just uncheck the programs you do not want to start.

wrs

gibby26

Simpswr:

Thanks for the tip. I reviewed every item in my Start Up folder and unchecked a few I don't need, including NAV. Now boot-up takes about half the time it did before.

gibby26

You disabled Norton AntiVirus??!! . . not a good idea to run without antivirus!

wrs

gibby26

I am running AVG. But even if I don't have NAV in my Start Up folder, I think it still runs - doesn't it? Anyway, I like AVG better. Running both is probably not necessary.

gibby26

As long as you are running one . . running both in not just not necessary, it is guaranteed to cause problems.

and no . . if it does not start in msconfig, it is not running until you run the program manually. You do have AVG starting automatically?

wrs

gibby26

wrs:

AVG is in my Start Up folder - the icon is in the tool bar by the clock. And I run a scan about every other day. Also run Adaware scans at the same time - checking both for updates prior to the scans.

Check out my most recent post about the foreign e-mails not going thru.

Thanks for your advice!

gibby26

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online