1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp Home Upgrade To Xp Pro Lost My Usb Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CLAYW, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CLAYW

CLAYW Thread Starter

I upgraded my eleven month old HP Laptop zd7020us to XP PRO from XP Home. I lost my ethernet card and usb ports. I uninstalled in Control Pannel the ethernet card and all four usb ports and controllers. I rebooted. The ethernet drivers were found and installed right away. Three usb ports and controllers are showing in device manager as working properly. One usb controller is "yellow" and repeated attemps to install drivers have not worked. As a result none of the four usb ports are working. HP tech support said the drivers were part on the HP XP Home O/S and the only way to get the usb ports to work again was to go back and install and live with XP Home. Do any of you have any ideas of how to get the usb controller to work with XP PRO??

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. They might be right.

Let me move you to hardware to see if anyone has any suggestions there.

3. storage_man

storage_man

Clayw

You may be able to download from HP some of the drivers that you need. Most of them should work with XP PRO even though HP doesn't support that OS on you machine. I did a quick search on the HP web site and did find a whole bunch of
    drivers. Here is the web site

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareListproduct=353538&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228

If the drivers don't work, then you may have to live with XP Home - I have the same problem on my IBM thinkpad - Only comes with xp home and not all of them work with
    xp pro.

Storage_man

4. SacsTC

SacsTC

5. CLAYW

CLAYW Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Intel drivers did not work directly, but between them and some other Windows Updates (not SP2) the USB ports are now recognized. Sure wish the HP tech support staff had been more helpfull.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice