1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home wants to VPN via modem :-S

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mrwes, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrwes

mrwes Thread Starter

One of my users here in our architectural office would like to use the VPN connection to connect to our server, an SBS 2003 box behind a firewall. When he sets up the connection via the connection wizard in XP home (SP2), the only connection it will use is the dial-up modem, even though he's got an ADSL connection (through a Linksys router to his ADSL modem).

I watched via remote desktop and sure enough, his XP home installation won't even think to use the LAN connection to his ADSL modem.

I also have an XP home install at home, same configuration... but it works!

Is there a registry hack we could pull in for this? My usual tech support channels are stumped, and Google ain't working on this problem ;-)

2. CoolHandJoe

CoolHandJoe

This is often due to the connection settings. If you go into control panel and double click on Internet Settings then click on the connections tab make sure that the option "Never dial a connection" is selected then give it a try. If you're viewing Control Panel in category view then you won't see Internet Settings, instead you'll see "Network and Internet Connections" which you should click then click on "Internet Options" and the instructions are the same from there.

Joe

3. mrwes

mrwes Thread Starter

Thanks for responding... but sadly, it didn't work! Any other ideas, folks?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

When you created the VPN connection on the client, was it checked to "Do not dial the initial connection"

5. mrwes

mrwes Thread Starter

Yes -- we've tried all these things and more, to no avail. XP still tries to dial the VPN via modem.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you don't need the modem, can you remove it?

7. mrwes

mrwes Thread Starter

Huh. We'll remove the modem, then recreate the VPN connection. Thanks for the suggestion; I'm amazed that none of us on our end can crack this one.

8. CoolHandJoe

CoolHandJoe

If you remove the modem and that works then we did crack it. :)
    There's just so much that can be done without actually looking at the computer and because you've performed the solutions that are supposed to fix the problem the suggestion is that the problem is not where it appears to be so to go much deeper we'd have to actually look around the computer for settings that are out of place.

Joe

9. mrwes

mrwes Thread Starter

So with the modem physically removed, XP says the device is missing and still wants to use a modem to dial-in...

10. wjlaw

wjlaw

Help. I'm having the Same Problem. Did anyone Solve this problem? I really need to figure out this problem as well. Thanks for any help... Bill

11. gurutech

gurutech

If you're in the same office, why are you trying to connect via VPN?

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It didn't seem like the computers were in the same location. Just that they work in the same office. But the VPN Clients are at home. One key indication - "I also have an XP home install at home"

Did you try looking at the Connections tab in the Internet Explorer to never dial a connection.

13. mrwes

mrwes Thread Starter

We did, Bob -- thanks. Even though we instruct IE to never dial a connection, it's stuck on dialing in thru the modem.

14. wjlaw

wjlaw

Hi guys. Here is my problem exactly... short and sweet. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED. GOOGLE / MICROSOFT Searches have lead nowhere.

Previously, Set up VPN to Our Corporate (Win 2003) just fine on this support persons PC. They use broadband from home... and tried it here when set up. Just ...vpn.theplacehere.com, and presto. no problems. They are on XP mediacenter on the laptop. One day it stops working. All settigns look just fine. I delete the VPN under network connections, and try to create a new.

NOW when I creat the VPN connection under networksettings it ONLY puts it in under "DIALUP". Even through this laptop is simply connected to my lan, has its own IP behind NAT. It Won't create a "VPN Connection" under Network connections. Its insisting to use a Dialup Modem for some reason, even though the Dialup Modem is NOT used for anything.

Driving me CRAZY.

And yes... told IE not to dial ever. There is NOTHING using the modem on this laptop. Creating a VPN connection is like it is HARD GLUED to connect through a modem. I even made the Modem Unavailable! I can provide screen shots to ANYTHING you'd like....

Any Help would be appreciated, and will earn you a "virtual Beer" <GRIN>. Thanks Bill

15. Drew7997

Drew7997

Feel Free to correct me. but Isn't one of the advantages to XP PRO the fact that you can use VPN as a highspeed connection?
    and XP Home only uses the Dial up method?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice