XP Home will not boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rmcurry

A customer click yes on a pop up with the following:

Buffer overflow messenger service allows remote code execution virus infection and unexpected computer shut down. Affected software Microsoft Windows NT, NT server 4.0, 2000, XP, Windows 98 and server 2003.

After applying this pop up the system will not boot in safe mode or recovery console. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to repair this without reinstalling the OS.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. When you say the recovery console won't boot, what happens?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Are you trying to use the XP cd to get there? If not, try it that way.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
And the bios is set to boot from the cdrom first? Is the cd bootable? Some XP installation cds are not. You may have to download the boot floppies and go that route.

rmcurry

Yes it is booting from the CD, I get the set up screeen and once the set up screen appears I select r for recovery console and then 1 when it asks for which folder to use. Then it just sits.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Sorry for the delay, I had some errands to do ;)

Don't pick the first recovery option, go like you are going for a new install, there will be a second chance for a repair.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online