1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home won't start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shaneo, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

My brother has asked me to help him solve a problem with his PC. When u turn it on it goes to the " Safe mode, Start normally, Safe mode command prompt......."option screen. If u choose "Start normally" it brings up the "XP spash screen/progress bar" but then it reboots just before the desktop loads. And rpeats the process over and over. it doesn't blue screen or error message or any thing . I Cannot start in safe mode or any of the other start options except for start normally . Her hasn't installed any new hardware or software recently and is running AVG Anti virus. He did say that he was getting freezes and had to do some bad shutdowns on the day it did this. I think he may have a virus and has damaged some reg files.System was clean installed 3 weekes ago.

XP Home edition.
    Intel 1.7 ghz
    Seagate 80gigHD
    P4 400w PSU
    MSI 64mb Geforce MX440
    AC 97 Onboard

2. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

P.S. I can boot to CD but I only have an XP pro disc not the Xp home disc that was used to load it. I can get it if necessary. I can also slave it into another PC if needed but I wasn't keen to do this if it has a virus for obvious reasons.
    Thanks

3. mobo

mobo

Try safe mode with networking and do the following:
    First please get Spybot S&D to clear out most of the spyware.

Short tutorial and download link here:
    http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

Fix everything SpybotSD labels in red.

Then after reboot:
    Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log, load it in Notepad, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

4. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

Ye ha! It boots to desktop in "-safe mode with networking'. That's a breakthrough in it self. Am unable to do any thing else as I have to go to work. I have spybot on disc so will carry on tonight. Used "fixboot " before I read this reply last night but even though it found corrupt files and fixed it still didn't boot normally. Funy thing is i ran fixboot again and it found corrupt files and fixed it again but still no boot. I think HD is FAT 32 not NTFS which is an issue with Recovery console so results of fixboot could be misleading. I am also using an XP Pro disc not the XP Home disc that this HD was loaded with. Will post more tonight.
    Shaneo

5. shaneo

shaneo Thread Starter

System is booting normally everytime now since booting it in "Safe mode networking ".Ran Spybot and had a number of DSO exploits,tracking cookies and Media player entries and I fixed all . Have had no problems at all but here is the Hijack log u requested..

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 9:12:18 PM, on 4/14/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\carpserv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\Desktop\HiJack\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ins3DT] E:\INSTALL4\INS3DT.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {3AF4DACE-36ED-42EF-9DFC-ADC34DA30CFF} (PatchInstaller.Installer) - file://E:\content\include\XPPatchInstaller.CAB

Attached Files:

6. mobo

mobo

Much better, thats clean

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice