1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Home won't validate

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lexsar, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lexsar

Lexsar Thread Starter

A neighbor of mine asked me to look at his HP Pavillion 7915. It turns out that his problems were related to a failing harddrive. I replaced the harddrive with a new one but he could not locate any of the discs that came with his PC when he bought it and didn't make any startup discs either. I re-installed XP Home using an XP Home disc that I borrowed from a friend. When I did the install, I had some issues getting it going (ntldr not found, etc...). I finally got XP Home re-installed using the proper and correct Product Key that was on a sticker on the side of the PC. Everything booted up nicely and I started running Windows Update to get the os up back to current with security updates, etc.. and here is where I have run into a problem. When trying to run Windows Update a second time, after running it once and installing updates successfully, Windows Update wanted to validate this copy of XP Home. Authentication failed. I know I used a different installation CD than came with this PC but I DID use the correct Product Key. Now I get a message that says this os will stop working after 30 days if it is not authenticated. What to do now?:confused:

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, There should be a phone number appearing on the screen with a message to call that number- explain what you did and why, and perhaps Microsoft will help you.

XP's activation is tied to the hardware environment, and once it is activated, that setup remains for about 120 days...so the copy you installed is currently activated and cannot be again, unless you are using it on only ONE computer. The Product Key may be correct but will not activate in this case.

The original Recovery disk set for that HP may yet be available from HP, some are and some have run out....if you want to find out, in case MS will not budge, go here: HERE and put a dot into
    Support and Troubleshooting Information"

Next, type in the exact Pavilion model number like this example:

Pavilion 533w and hit the little double arrow next to that,

On the next page, look for Product Information, or similar, category that lists the parts the computer came with.
    Down the list, find the System Recovery software or similar category, and it will show you whether it came with a CD set or not, from there you can follow the prompts to get to the HP Parts Store, where you again use the model number to bring up a list of parts that you can still buy for that model, if it shows the system Recovery set there with a GREEN checkmark, it can be ordered online, some have to be ordered over the phone (toll free call) and some are just not available anymore. I've been through this several times, so if you need any help just post back.
    I've gotten sets ordered in just a matter of a few days, they are not expensive, one was $23 and one was $43 with shipping included.

The CDs are made to install onto a blank or new hard drive, so just replacing the drive is not the cause. Your friend has another option> to purchase his own copy of XP Home, Pro etc and install that. However, HPs sometimes have proprietary hardware that needs the drivers that shipped or are available from HP to work.
    It might be worth finding out if you can order the CD set, they should work. Remember also that HP computers may have a lot of software and driver updates that you need to apply before you get to the installing Service Pack 2 phase...unless the machine came with SP2, in that case it is patched already.

EDIT> I just checked and that model, HP Pavilion 7915, with an ID number found on the back P5266A or P5266AR does have the Recovery set available from HP Parts Store.

You appear to be in luck, they are available for $12.08 plus shipping!

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/sp...e=&strsrch=&keysel=?&catsel=Other+Accessories

Says that the set is orderable, by online purchase or by phone.

3. malifluous

malifluous

Now Im going to assume you have a legit key for Windows. I have installed windows with legit keys and seen the same problem. Heres the best way to avoid this. When you load up windows update, goto the Tools tab at the top of your internet explorer and scroll down to manage addons. You have two groups of addons you can search. Ones currently loaded and ones internet explorer has used. IN either catagory you want to find Windows genuine advantage validation tool. It will be in the catagory of one of the drop down windows, most likely, addons windows has used in the past. Once you find this addon, highlight it and click the disable button towards the bottom and then hit ok. Doing so will bypass windows validation and allow you to recieve your well deserved updates. :eek:

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

malifluous--- That will not help him get past the 30 day Activation problem, if you read through it again, that is the issue! Microsoft will not prevent anyone from critical security updates, even if they fail Validation> you can still get updates, what you cannot get is the extra free software from Microsoft that goes along with only a valid copy.
    The computer will go into a mode where you can only back up your files if it hits the 30 day limit.

Lexsar----------

See my post above, get the correct Recovery set, restore the computer with those and be happy...

Or, purchase a valid XP retail or OEM CD and install that.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I recently swapped the MB in a system I had just activated with XP-Pro, the only way around it was to call Microsoft and go through the little activation rain-dance. It's a free call, and it'll only take a few minutes.

6. malifluous

malifluous

Yes I didnt see that, i apologize. I suggest getting a newer version of Windows next time around. I believe only pre SP1 versions of Windows XP require activation. I have a XP Pro SP2 disk and I have installed it on over 30 computers and never had to activate once. Could be Pro version or could be the new service packs, but either way I didnt not need to activate. I know this may not help you but if you can find a friend with a newer version of Windows XP you could get around having the pay, seeing as how you payed already. Windows XP installtions can be found using the usual resources on the net, which isnt so bad if you already payed for the installation you have.

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

:rolleyes:

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

malifluous, I suggest you read the TSG Rules before your next post! You are admitting to illegal activities, and suggesting to other members they should engage in them too. Your stay here will be very short if we see you advocating illegal activities here again. :( (n)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!