1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp home zapped by service pack

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by d.h.lawton, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d.h.lawton

d.h.lawton Thread Starter

Last Friday I purchased a 'new' laptop a Sony VAIO PCG-FX705 pre-loaded with XP HOME . Everything was working fine I went on-line to activate the software. Later when I tried to download something Iwas directed to download and install an MS Service Pack. Towards the end of this process I received error messages relating to 'missing' files including 'nic1394.sys', 'ntoskrnl.exe', 'ntkrnlpa.exe' and 'win32k.sys?'. I did not choose to restart when asked at the end of the installation but continued doing what ever I was doing and there was no apparent problem. When I did close down and then re-start I found myself completely locked out of windows with the message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Please reinstall a copy of th above file."
    How can I do this when I am unable to gain access to the OS? As XP was pre-loaded I do not have a CD. Any help for a user with limited technical nouse would be hugely appreciated.

2. Meandy

Meandy

Well, I am certainly of no help to you at all. I have been debating whether to install this Service Pack myself on my WinXP OS. I have heard/read many comments about this particular update, more bad than good and I came here to see if I could find help with my decision. I think I will leave well enough alone for now.

I hope someone can give you some help/advice.

Meandy

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Without the source files or a backup, I'm not sure what you can do other than whatever the manufacturer supplies for a restore.

1. Always back up the oprating system before a major upgrade like this.
    2. Always make sure you have the source files somewhere.

Eventually you are going to need both.

4. boyoh53

boyoh53

I downloaded it alright, but I have to admit there is no noticeable
    difference to me. But if there was anything for security then it probably was worthwhile. :D

5. Del

Del

I hate to admit it, but I avoid M$ service packs and upgrades like the plague. Never had a virus, never been hijacked and puter works fine. Everytime I tried a security patch or whatever, it broke something.
    Hence: If it ain't broke, don't fix it""

6. Flrman1

Flrman1

I installed SP1 about 3 weeks ago and it really screwed up my PC. It would not recognize my soundcard or printer even after uninstalling and reinstalling them. I started getting all kinds of errors. When I installed it it asked me if i wanted to install the uninstall feature which would require more disk space. Well having heard all the horror stories about SP1 I chose to install the uninstall feature to be safe. When all the trouble started I went to add/remove programs and sure enough it was there but it would not uninstall. Everytime I tried it would say SP1 could not be removed. I figured I would try a system restore,as I had been told you could do if SP1 screwed anything up, WRONG!. Sp1 had deleted all my restore points. So I tried a repair install of XP and it was still screwed up. In the end I had to reformat and do a clean install of XP. Luckily I had everything backed up.

7. Flrman1

Flrman1

I guess none of these replies have helped you at all. If you had a copy of the XP CD I would suggest a clean install. Since you do not I don't know what to tell you other than to suggest that you see if you can get one.

8. Huon

Huon

Without a CD your choices are indeed limited. I take it you have tried to activate safe mode? Press F8 as the computer is booting up?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477
    This MS article may describe your situation, but unless you can access the system, (Your installation files may be on the hard disk) or unless you have a CD, I am unable to suggest anything else.:(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice