1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp/ie 6/ Blocks Access To Web Site

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rirapp, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rirapp

rirapp Thread Starter

Hello. I'm a Mac User but bought a golf sky caddy (uses GPS to find your distances on a golf course) which required connecting the device via USB to the computer, loading a PC based driver and then having the website
    "communicate" with the device to download information.

I successfully loaded the driver but to an error message from IE 6 says to the effect: "there is a security issue here and we're not going to let you access that web site". That dialogue box says "click here" for options around this. But that function does not work.

So, I went into the control panels and disabled the firewall. Didn't work
    So, I went into the control panels and made this web site an "exception" to
    the firewall. Didn't work.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you sure this is compatible with a Mac?

3. rirapp

rirapp Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. I was using a PC. I said I was a MAC User just to show I didn't know much about PCs.

Yes, this was on Windows XP using Internet Explorer 6. (I downloaded IE 7, thinking that might help but I couldn't access the internet at all with IE 7. Must have its own set of problems I guess.

Can you offer any help on this issue?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, I can't offer any help. I have no experience with this software.

5. rirapp

rirapp Thread Starter

Thank you anyway. Not sure you understood what I was requesting: help with Internet Explorer and XP. You said you had no experience with that software. I don't think one would need experience with that particular software (skycaddy), just a working knowledge of how to get IE or XP to allow access to a website.

Tks anyway.

6. bbearren

bbearren

What does the error message in IE6 say exactly? Write it down before you click it away.

7. rirapp

rirapp Thread Starter

Hello and thanks for the reply. I'm at work using my Mac now but when I get home and get on that PC I'll email you the error message.

Tks so much for your offer of help.

8. Huon

Huon

The following is from the IE6 help file.

When a file is blocked, you will see the following message.
    "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options…"

This message appears when a Web page tries to download a file that you might not have specifically requested. Because files can contain software that can affect the performance of your computer or access the information on your computer, you should be certain that you know what the file contains and that you trust its publisher before you consider downloading it.

If you are certain you want to download the file, follow the steps below:

Click the Information Bar.
    Click Download File.
    When you are prompted to download the file, read the information in the dialog box very carefully. Make sure the file is from a Web site you absolutely trust.

Is that the message, or is it different?

9. rirapp

rirapp Thread Starter

Yes, that is the message! I try to click where it says to click but nothing happens. Where is the "information bar"? Is it contained within that error message dialogue box? Or is the "information bar" somewhere else on the XP display? I'm afraid I really don't know PC's well enough and I bet this is a dumb question.

Tks so much!!

10. bbearren

bbearren

The information bar pops out across the top of the web page just below the address bar/toolbar.

11. rirapp

rirapp Thread Starter

Thank you but I must be dense. I'm looking right now at the address bar (called "Address" with a space next to it for typing the url you want to visit).

Below that is a Yahoo symbol hot link, a pencil icon, a pull down of recently visited sites, a "search web" button, and then continuing left to right, a pop up blocker indicator, a Yahoo Anti Spy icon, an "Alert" icon, a "Welcom Tour", then "Answers", then "Mail, then
    Bookmarks, then "local" then "Messenger" and then "Sign Out".

That's the end of the box, period. Below this is the substance of the site you're on.

Am I looking in the right place?

Thank you!

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You said that's the message you see. When you see that message, click on it. That's the information bar. You're only going to see the information bar and this message when you navigate to the site you say is "blocked". It's not going to be there when you're on this web site.

13. rirapp

rirapp Thread Starter

Thank you very much for staying with this and helping me out. Hope I can return the favor someday.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!