1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp iexplore error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by johnharper, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnharper

johnharper Thread Starter

when i exit almost any program i get a 'box' that says: "The instruction at "0x74985c91" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

This is displayed over my desktop twice each time i exit a program. it seems to have appeared after i upgraded my symantec program.

Anyone know how to get rid of this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

John

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Which Symantec program did you upgrade?

Have you rebooted your computer after the upgrade?

Have you called Symantecs tech support over this the call should be free since you just upgraded. They might not be aware of this problem.

3. johnharper

johnharper Thread Starter

i just upgraded my subscription to norton internet security 2007
    i rebooted my computer numerous times and removed the program and re installed it at least 5 times. it came with a norton system works 2007 and i never did get that installed. i gave up and used a 2004 version which i've since removed.
    i tried to contact norton but after waiting for what seemed like forever i gave up.

i'm 72n and i may not have enough time left to rescue my purchase. I got into computers in a small way in 1980, trash 80, so i'm not a complete novice. i thank you for the 'elder respect'.

John Harper

4. HunterDerby

HunterDerby

I am having the same issue. I have had the Norton 2007 on the computer for a few months and have just recently started getting the error message when I close out of Internet Explorer. It is driving me insane. I was wondering if the new Internet Explorer 2007 upgrade had anything to do with it. HELP!!

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Here try this and then try re-installing Norton again, if re-installing it does not work run the removal again and use AVG free and other free programs to protect yourself.

How to Fully Remove Norton 2004 and newer

The newest release from Symantec – Please read and select the version for your operating system from the following page::

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Owner had Norton 2004, which had expired. I uninstalled it using Add / Remove programs and Norton's SymRT [ removal tool ].

Run regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center

Make sure firewalldisablenotify and override are set to 0

Look under Monitoring for any Symantec entries -- if there is anything other than a default 0 value in the right pane delete them.

Cut here ---------à

Temporarily shut down Norton:

1. Start Norton
    2. Select Options>> Norton AntiVirus
    3. Select Miscellaneous from the right pane
    4. Scroll down the right pane and locate "How to protect my product"
    5. Uncheck the box titled: Turn protection on for my Symantec product
    6. Click OK

Turn Norton back on:

1. Start Norton
    2. Select Options>> Norton AntiVirus
    3. Select Miscellaneous from the right pane
    4. Scroll down the right pane and locate "How to protect my product"
    5. Check the box titled: Turn protection on for my Symantec product
    6. Click OK

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice