1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP......in English please!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by midsomerdave, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. midsomerdave

midsomerdave Thread Starter

Hi...I have bought a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, model L30-134 in Portugal. This runs Microsoft XP....in Portuguese. How can I run XP in English? Sorry for being such a novice!

2. Miggs

Miggs

Go in to your control panel, then select regional and langauge options, select english.

3. techychick

techychick

You may have to purchase the english version, are all of the menus in portuguese?

4. midsomerdave

Thanks Miggs...tried all that and no good. Techychik, yes all of the menus are in Portuguese. Sorry to be dim, but will I need an English product recovery disk, or can I just buy an English version of XP and load it in? Thanks both.

5. techychick

techychick

Just buy an English version and you'll be set to go =)

6. midsomerdave

Tks Techychic...really going to test your patience here....do I have to delete the Portuguese version....or just load on top...ie, put the new disk in and run it.

7. techychick

techychick

8. midsomerdave

lol...sorry...wife just pointed out it´s Techychick!

9. midsomerdave

Ok, thanks for all of that. I´m assuming it must be easier to learn computers than Portuguese! Regards. ps..what a great site.

10. techychick

techychick

Is quite okay, I've been called worse! ;-)

11. reapcorp

reapcorp

Ok at work I reloaded a German Windows XP to Windows XP in English.
    What I did is to grab a disk that matched the sticker on the computer, since the sticker said it was a Windows XP Home Edition I used a Windows XP Home Edition CD English version.

I wiped the whole system
    Reinstalled the OS, then it asked me for the windows product key, so I used the Product Key that in the sticker that came with the computer, and it Worked!!
    One problem that we came in was the keyboard layout, since the keys are different I loaded both the English keyboard layout and the German keyboard layout. So in your case if you are used to the Portuguese keyboard layout you can add it and switch between both language layouts.

If you don't own an English Windows Installtion CD you will have to buy one, or if you have a friend that has it, make sure its not a manufacturers OEM disk , like a dell windows installation cd because during the installation you may have problems. Sometimes manufacturers OEM disks check to make sure they are being installed on the same manufacturers machines.

If you can try using a retail Installation cd. But you can always buy an Installation disk with a new product key on the web for around $79. Try http://www.pricegrabber.com/

12. midsomerdave

tks reapcorp....been reading about this problem a lot. Your final suggestion seems to be the one for me...guess I´m gonna have to lash out a little dosh! Thanks to you and everyone who helped.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice