1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp Install on a SATA HD Without Floppy (Having Problems With Given Solutions)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by linkois, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linkois

linkois Thread Starter

hi, more of the same, I'm having problems with windows xp on a laptop with preinstalled vista that has no floppy drive, the error "It doesn't detect the SATA HDD"; I tried the solution with a usb floppy drive and pressing f6, I found the correct driver and it works fine, I`m able to partition the HD and the process continues until it asks for the driver again but the USB floppy drive doesn't wortk in that part of the installation.

The next solution I found of this forum was making a custom XP CD including the SATA drivers with NLITE software, incredible software, without pressing f6 the HD is detected and again I'm able to partition and the installation begins, almost success!! but ... when it reboots to continue the installation it does't detect the HD again a lecture error displays and the classic press ctrl+alt+del to reboot!!! Am I missing something?? or doing something wrong? obvious hel needed please, greetings!!

the machine by the way is a Gateway MX6946m Notebook

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Often with laptops, they work best with the os that it was designed to run.
    Since you have already attempted to make an install disk, the only other thing I could suggest is to see if you can configure your sata to standard ide in the bios. XPsp2 usually finds a sata drive connected to an intel controller as long as it is set for standard ide. See if your bios gives you this option.

Other than that, if you are sure you used the correct driver, there is not much less you can do.

I am just wondering why you would want xp over vista? Is there some proprietary software you need to run that will not work under vista?

FWIW I have been running vista since Dec of last year with 0 problems. IMO a much better os than xp ever was however that is just my opinion.

3. linkois

linkois Thread Starter

I'm sure it is but again MORE OF THE SAME, certain software that doesn't run on Vista yet, even though with update patches, i'll try to find another driver to see if the detail is solved. The driver that is in the recovery partition is - Intel(R) 82801GHM SATA RAID Controller; where do you think I might find some alternatives for the one I already downloaded?

4. kokocamp

kokocamp

Probably, something's missing while you build your ISO with nLite. You can see another room about what they have done succesfully with this custom setup.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you checked the bios of your system to see if you can change the mode of the sata controller from raid to standard ide? XPsp2 will generally "See" a drive connected to an intel sata controller set to standard ide or non-raid.

One other thought; make sure there are xp drivers available from the mfg's site. If there are no xp drivers for your nic, touchpad, etc, you are basically wasting your time.

6. linkois

linkois Thread Starter

with the basic form of NLITE I don't see where tha error can be; no changes can be done in BIOS and yes I have all the XP drivers, I'll rest some days it's getting kind of difficult.

7. bbearren

bbearren

Did you add the SATA driver in the TEXTMODE drivers section of nLite? That's where it has to go. The only thing that should happen is that XP will tell you that the driver isn't signed, and ask if you want to use it anyway.

There are other places in nLite to add drivers, but SATA drivers have to go in the TEXTMODE section.

8. mojo1180

mojo1180

I had same problem tried floppys they dont work finally tried something called SPLIT SCREEN you can read up on this on google after xp installs you will have to download all your driver manually so know what hardware you have before formatting hard drive to completely remove vista.I did this and it works great but read up first since it is a little tricky and remember LIFE IS TO SHORT TO DRINK CHEEP BEER

9. mojo1180

mojo1180

10. bbearren

bbearren

Floppies do work, if you have the correct driver files on the floppy. If you don't use the correct files, it won't work.

11. kokocamp

kokocamp

@bbearren : Yes, this last solutions will absolutely works. I agree with that.

@linkois : Your SATA F6 driver seems wrong (not compatible to the hardware) & this caused the slipstream CD wouldn't recognized the hard drive.

12. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

13. bbearren

bbearren

14. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I am sorry but the drivers for the sata drive can be put on the install disk using nLite and making the disk bootable and when the install asks for the drivers all you do is browse to the drivers on the install cd and install them.

15. kokocamp

kokocamp

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice