XP Install Part2 troubleshooting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plastard

I have a soyo computer I think it has a soyo motherboard as well
Via Samuel (or maybe that's spelled samual) 600mhz processor
256mb of ram
award modular bios v6.00PG

I had to try and install XP Pro from Dos with a win98 boot disk
I went through the steps like this
typed cd i386
then typed winnt
went through the install process and got to the point where the setup tells me that the Dos portion of the setup is finished and to remove my floppy disk so that it can restart.

So I did and restarted the computer and instead of comtinuing the setup it gives me a boot error

first it says "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:"
then tries to read the CD but can't and then says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I've got it to continue the rest of the setup just fine every other time without seeing that error on the same computer with the same hard drive and bios settings same install process and everything.

I have, however, experimented a bit with the bios settings since then but at the moment they're set to boot in the order: cd-rom;floppy;hard drive. But I've tried all the boot orders including the ones I knew wouldn't work and am still getting the boot failure error. I think that the only thing I havent done is reset the bios. I actually reset them a time or two directly from the bios setup but I havent yet tried resetting them from the dos debug command or through the jumper on the motherboard.

but it will boot my linux installation cd and from my linux live cd

any suggestions?

thanks

Is your XP Pro installation disk a standard Microsoft OEM or retail disk or is it a recovery/reinstallation disk for another system?

crjdriver

First of all there is never a need to use dos / win9x tools to install NT based os. XP cds are bootable. You do all partitioning and formatting from setup.

If you cannot boot from your cd drive, download and use the six setup disks from MS.

plastard

it's a windows xp pro install OEM cd. not an upgrade.

the six disk shuffle it is then. :eek:

but give me a break though :) , it ain't that supprising that out of the 15-20 computers in my home/network I would have to resort to dos/9x is it?

thanks for the help.

crjdriver

Part of the problem using a win9x boot disk is that smart drive or file caching is not loaded. You should have received a warning about file cache being unavailable during the install.

plastard

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been extremely busy.
often, I have to run smart manually. by typing smartdrv (or sometimes "smart" depending on which smart program is on the machine). I noticed that my bootdisk didn't have smart though, so I just copied it onto my bootdisk then ran it.

the xp installer will still run without smart but it painstakingly slow. If an error occurs then there are usually ways around it. Like by pressing F7 when tells you to press F6 to configure raid.

anyways,
luckily I ran the install one more time from the beginning and it got to that part again where it tells me "the ms-dos part of the setup is complete etc . . ." so I removed the floppy and restarted and it decided it wanted to boot the cd that time

I don't know what caused that problem. I'm guessing it's because my xp pro disk has a scratch or two.

I apreciate your thoughts. again I'm terribly sorry for the late reply, I didn't wan't to leave you hanging though so I thought I'd atleast let you know what happened.

thanks for the support

Using a Win 98 boot disk and a Windows XP Pro install disk, I have not heard of doing that since the Corporate version with the leaked key code. Is this that version?

plastard

it's the oem. It doesnt say corperate, I'm no expert but I believe it's just plain windows xp pro.

plastard

I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me when something else goes wrong if you'll have me

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online