1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Install Problem"Unknown Disk"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pcfixorpitch?, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcfixorpitch?

pcfixorpitch? Thread Starter

I am trying to do a clean install of XP Pro(I have backed up every thing on an external drive) -my current OS is 2000 pro.This computer is only 3 years old and the manual for the motherboard says that it supports windows 98SE/ME?2000/XP. I get to the part in the installation where you are supposed to choose where to install XP and it says:
    Unknown Disk (There is no disk in this drive)
    It won't even let me click on one of these without the blue screen coming up. The Stop Message reads:
    0x0000008E(0xC0000005,0xF84CAD,0xF809E7E4,0x00000000):confused:
    I haven't updated the BIOS as I cannot find updates. And I'm not sure if my boot sequence is correct ? Any one with suggestions?

2. The_Oracle

The_Oracle

error 0x0000008E indicates a memory problem according to this MSKB article.

in addition to the instructions from MSKB you may re-seat your memory modules (and all cable connectors and add-on cards while you're at it), test your RAM with Memtest86+ and load the default or failsafe BIOS settings.

3. pcfixorpitch?

Thanks for the Info -I had already read the instructions from MS regarding 0x000000e stop messages but did not want to play with the guts of my computer yet... The Memtest86+ site seemed a little too technical for me so I went to the Windows memory Diagnostic site and downloaded their diagnostic test...I let it do several passes and then ran the extended test -no errors were reported. I went into the BIOS and chose "default settings" (after I made a note of all the current settings) -It made a few changes like under Advanced[/B] it disabled "cool and quiet" setting, AGP Bridge config -graphics aperture size went from 128 to 64 MB,Parallel Port Mode was[ECP] now reads[Normal]. under Power AcPI 2.0 support went from [YES] to [NO], APM config -restore on AC Power Loss now reads [last state] instead of poweroff. and Boot -Boot device Priority put 1st floppy drive
    which I then changed back to D drive which is a DVD burner.... I then tried to install Windows XP and the same thing happend (unknown disk )x4 this time it let me push F3 to exit without the blue screen coming up:) . I do have 4 USB ports on this computer - could they be the ones that are being detected? But why doesn't the XP disk detect my C drive?
    Any more Suggestions would be welcome.

4. Taplow1

Taplow1

Is it a Sata HDD currently installed?

Check in Bios. If it is a sata HDD and you do not wish to utilise raid function, see if you can configure your HDD as IDE in the Bios. If you can save setting and exit. Try reinstall XP.
    Cheers.

5. pcfixorpitch?

Hello,
    Thanks for the suggestion...I'm not sure looking through the BIOS where to configure my HDD as IDE ? ...I gave up trying to do a clean install and did an upgrade instead (I was running 2000pro before) so after installing all the updates everything seems to be working fine except that my computer no longer detects my dvd r/w drive (D drive) funny since I upgraded to xp using this drive. Any Ideas of how to get use this device back? (I rechecked BIOS and this drive is still listed as my 1st boot device, my harddrive is 2nd followed by the floppy drive. Under "Main" Primary IDE master and slave are "not detected"
    and secondary IDE master is listed as [HL-DT-STDVDRAMGS] . Secondary IDE slave is not detected.
    Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/634807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice