1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Install Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by unit213, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unit213

unit213 Thread Starter

I want to upgrade my OS to Windows XP. My current setup is a Pentium III 450mhz, 384MB RAM, 2 HD's worth about 80GB total, and Wind 98.

My question is this:

By upgrading to XP will I lose all of my current programs and files? I'm thinking that it's like performing a system restore.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Dan

2. Rockn

Rockn

I personally wouldn't go the upgrade route, I would format the primary partition and install a full version of XP. If you go that route you will lose everything on that partition. Might want to consider backing everything up to CD if you have one. If you do go the upgrade route you will not loose any programs or files.

3. Mustnged

Mustnged

If you upgrade with Windows XP Home Upgrade, you will not lose any data or programs. It will simply upgrade the operating system without deleting any of your data. However you may experience driver compatibility issues, such as your printer not working or CD Recording software, etc. Just get the XP drivers for the devices that are not working.

4. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

How large is your D drive?

You could format/partition it and do a full install of XP on it, then have a dual-boot system with 98 and XP. (Backup any important files from D first!) :)

5. cainbdc1

cainbdc1

Trust me just install over 98 you will not lose anything. turn off cpu put xp in cd rom ,reboot and when it gets to your rom it will say hit any key to boot from cd, do that and your on your way
    bdc

6. jojomo

jojomo

I have done several upgrades to xp . Make a game plan before you install . xp upgrade has a compatabilty check option that I suggest you use first. This will tell you which programs that are not compatible with xp and will also tell you which devices will require updated drivers. I would make sure all devices have an xp driver available. As some told you in this thread a clean install is the best route , but you have to save and reinstall everything.

"I feel your pain"

7. unit213

unit213 Thread Starter

"As some told you in this thread a clean install is the best route , but you have to save and reinstall everything. "

That's what I'm trying to avoid. I am building another machine currently. I'll start with XP on that one. It just doesn't sound like it's worth it.

Thanks for all the help!

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you have two hds why not setup the dual boot system? That way you will have all of your win9x settings and still be able to see if you “like” xp. As to doing an upgrade install; upgrades from win9x based os to nt based os do not generally go well.
    If you need help setting up a dual boot, just post back and someone can give you instructions.

9. jojomo

jojomo

yeah its a big pain , but it is well worth it ,once you get everything running. xp is the greatest thing since sliced bread. it runs faster it is more reliable and no more blue screens and freezes.

10. unit213

unit213 Thread Starter

Stability is the exact reason I want to upgrade. I might do it if I get bored one weekend. It'll take endless cd's to back up my files though. I have about 20GB I need to keep. A dvd burner would help.

11. unit213

unit213 Thread Starter

That was my next question. I'm not sure how to go about that. The problem is that I have nearly 20gigs of audio/video on my secondary (non-bootable) HD. By installing XP on that drive, that would wipe out all of those files right?

12. jojomo

jojomo

it will not wipe out anything as long as all goes well. providing this is an upgrade version.

13. unit213

unit213 Thread Starter

I don't believe it is an upgrade version. I'm sure I could get that though if it is available.

14. jojomo

jojomo

it is available in pro and home version

15. unit213

unit213 Thread Starter

Cool, I'm going to look for that version and I'll do the upgrade if everything sounds ok. I'll post my results. Thanks again for the help!

Dan

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice