1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rmccloud, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rmccloud

rmccloud Thread Starter

OK... had an aborted uogarde of XP Pro over Win 2K.. using a backup XP disk. Went the full route, bought a legit FULL copy of XP and am going to try and install it this weekend.
    Question is: how?

I will attempt to boot from the cd, since XP comes up locked in blue screen.'
    When and if I can boot, which option do I try?
    I have NO way to backup any programs on my three drives since I can only boot do WIN98/MSDOS7 command prompt.
    If I do a full install will it reformat the drives or just install?

Ross:confused:

2. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

3. rmccloud

rmccloud Thread Starter

now I am really confused, Dr Dave...

Thanks for the tip and the web site link, but it makes me more nervous than before!

If I choose a clean install, then I have no option than to format the drive, even if it is already formatted in Fat 32?

If I do that, I will lose all my data on the C drive, which previously had Win 2K installed.

Any other way to do it??

4. Lardog

Lardog

You don't have to format to do a clean install. The setup menu will ask you which partition to install to. If that partition is already formated, it will give you options to format in NTFS or leave the file system as is. Select whichever you desire and go to town.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice