XP install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tlund_99

I started the WinXP Upgrade install and the XP Compatibility advisor software indicated that my graphics card(S3 Trio 3D2X) was not compatible with XP.I downloaded a Win 2000 driver for S3 card(indicated as o.k. by advisor software)Does anyone know what the sequence of the upgrade installation will be.Will the installation stop and ask for the graphics card update or will the installation complete with plain VGA resolution and then ask for update?...Also does XP installation,install incompatible software or skip them. Thanks, Tom

well my thoughts are if your graphics card is incompatible, it is incompatible with XP and isn't usable. If it were a matter a drivers then XP would install them for you. I think you might infortunately need a new graphics card, but it seems that one should work. Regarding the installation process, XP will just install everything on its own. If XP is saying that its drivers aren't compatible and you need an update, then it will ask for it when it gets to it. That is odd thought because if XP just needs updated drivers they should be on the XP disc, as it is less than a month old.

well all the S3 graphix cards are in general crap and old (think 5 years, primitive huh) so all I can say is either e-mail the company if they have made any XP drivers (2000 and XP arent all the same, only the stability)
or get a newer graphix cards. I would recommend Vivid's or any of the Hercules card if your not willing to spend over $150 ( or whereever your from )

yeah s3s are really bad. also, just because it says that it's windows 2000 compatible does not mean it is xp compatible. they are different. just buy a new vid card, i recommend asus 7700 cards. only about 170 - 200 bucks and they work really well. hope i helped.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online