1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp installation error (unmounted boot volume ??)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Janaid, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Janaid

Janaid Thread Starter

i have windows 98 already installed and started to install windows xp, it restarted to continue to install and then it comes up with the following error message on a blue screen back ground:

UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME

then it has lots of solutions that dont work

(0X81B55030, 0X00000185, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

please help

additional info- i had a old 1.96 hard drive which had win 98 on it and i installed win xp on that with no problem so i dont think it is the disk or any hardware/software problem becasue both drives have the same

2. NiteNow

NiteNow

Got a lot of bluescreens when trying to upgrade my win98 pc to xp, and found after awhile that this was due to some problems with my harddrive....

If I remember correctly it was just some lost clusters or something that caused it.

These were not detected by dos scandisk, but I had to use scandisk for windows to fix it!

Could be worth a try to check your disk if you havent already!

-NiteNow

3. Janaid

Janaid Thread Starter

damn it didnt work, i even chose the new installation option but the same message appeared, this is annoying me now, cant handle windows 98 its so boring, i need help on this thing.....

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

A few things to check.

How much free space is on the drive? You state it is 1.96 gig drive. XP likes a lot of free space during the install process. 1.5 gigs.

Did you run the upgrade tool to see if your computer was able to be upgraded?

Is the drive an older drive that is on a newer computer using 80 pin ultra-ata cables? These can cause problems with XP.

What shape is the drive cable in?

Try an fdisk /mbr from a windows 9.x boot disk. This will rewrite the master boot sector of the hard drive incase it has incorect info on it.

Try a full fdisk of the drive and a reformat.

If I think of anything else, I will post again.

5. Janaid

Janaid Thread Starter

i just brought a 40gb UDMA hard drive, i have tried formatting and tried scandisk and both not successfull

i dont know about the cables, there is one IDE cable which goes from the drive to the motherboard

any other suggestions will help

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

What brand is this drive. Sometimes using a newer UDMA drive in a slightly older system can cause some problems and some of the manufacturers have work arounds or fixes for them.

7. Janaid

Janaid Thread Starter

the brand is IBM

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!